Winchester SX4 3.5” with 28g Cartridges

DoubleTap

Hi all,

I am considering a 3.5” Winchester SX4 but wanted to know if they’ll cycle 28g clay cartridges (something like an FBlack)? 

It will be mainly used for Pigeons/Crows and Wildfowl so shouldn’t be firing anything less than 32g through it for 90% of the time.

However on the odd occasion I want to put lighter loads (no less than 28g) through it, do they tend to cycle them fine?

If a current/previous SX4 owner could give me some insight that would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks in advance,

Tayler. 

I have a SX3 with 3.5"  chamber which cycles 28g or 24g clay cartridges fine as long as they are 70mm. 

It can misfeed 65mm or 67mm clay cartridges

It seems happy enough with 67mm 30g pigeon cartridges though.  I am very pleased with the gun overall. 

On 17/01/2024 at 11:55, DoubleTap said:

Hi all,

I am considering a 3.5” Winchester SX4 but wanted to know if they’ll cycle 28g clay cartridges (something like an FBlack)? 

It will be mainly used for Pigeons/Crows and Wildfowl so shouldn’t be firing anything less than 32g through it for 90% of the time.

However on the odd occasion I want to put lighter loads (no less than 28g) through it, do they tend to cycle them fine?

If a current/previous SX4 owner could give me some insight that would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks in advance,

Tayler. 

In my opinion, a 3.5 inch gun only offers an advantage when the majority of the carts you put through it are 3.5 inches. 

As you've said crows and pigeons will be a main use for the gun, I'm going to assume that the vast majority of shells you put through it will be 70mm. That means for 90% or so of everything you put through it, you're getting 3/4 of an inch of chamber jump and gas blow by.

I'm also going to guess that most of your wildfowling will be using either 70 or 76mm shells? If so, the same argument applies. 

Why buy a gun that offers an advantage for perhaps 5% of your total shooting, yet gives a disadvantage for the remaining 95%?

I would get a 3 inch gun, and if you find you need more firepower than a 3 inch steel cartridge, then you'll be much better served by swapping to a denser non-tox like bismuth or tungsten. 

Thanks all, really appreciate the comments and really helpful. Seems to be good news on the cartridge front so I best start properly looking for a nice camo example!😜

@Smudger687 cheers for the comments, again really appreciated. To be totally honest I’m not looking for a 3.5” in particular, but can only ever find 3.5” guns for sale! If I could find a 3” camo example this would be my preference because (as you said) I’ll very rarely be using 3.5” cartridges. 

Reason for fancying a Winchester is they seem fairly cheap but reliable. It will be getting abused jumping in and out of the boat, in the hides, covered in water, mud, ice, etc. so I’d rather not spend more money on the arguably better but more expensive Beretta/Browning/Benelli alternatives. 

Thanks again all,

Tayler.