6.5x55 factory ammo

I am currently using Federal 140grn sp in my 6.5.

Whilst I am happy with the federals I was thinking of trying some ballistic tips.

I have friends who are using Winchester ballistic silver tips in 243 and 270 with good results.

As winchester only seem to have superx 140grn sp availible in 6.5 I was wondering if anyone knows of a 6.5x55 BT round suitable for deer?

The only one I can find is Norma and they are very expensive.

Thanks!

Moses

I use the Norma 120's in my T3 and they are superb. I swapped from Federal about 18 months ago and would not go back for love nor money.

A little expensive perhaps but as I only use them for deer price does not really matter. After all how many are you actually going to fire in a year.

Always a touchy subject this one.

It came up on the BBS (doesn't it always!) and someone linked into a US site that did deer BT's, but I don't think they are available yet.

I would stick to the Feds, out of curiousity why do you want to change?

I was culling prickets last weekend and shot a beast at about 180yds, It was off the bipod and the shot was well placed (on inspection it had clipped the top of the heart), the beast ran on for over 100yds into thick cover, first time it has happened to me. We were able to find it quick enough but, I wondered if a BT would prevent beasts running on with a greater knock down capability?

I use the Norma 120's in my T3 and they are superb. I swapped from Federal about 18 months ago and would not go back for love nor money.

A little expensive perhaps but as I only use them for deer price does not really matter. After all how many are you actually going to fire in a year.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you paying per box of Normas?

Do they cause much carcass damage?

Cheers

Moses

If you don't mind me asking, what are you paying per box of Normas?

Do they cause much carcass damage?

Cheers

Moses

The last boxes I bought about 9-10 months ago were £23.99.

Carcass damage does not appear, so far, to be any worse than with the federal. I should add that my experience is only with red's.

I was culling prickets last weekend and shot a beast at about 180yds, It was off the bipod and the shot was well placed (on inspection it had clipped the top of the heart), the beast ran on for over 100yds into thick cover, first time it has happened to me. We were able to find it quick enough but, I wondered if a BT would prevent beasts running on with a greater knock down capability?

I thought that this sort of thing can happen sometimes no matter how the shot is placed. If a Deer is spooked just before the shot, the Adrenaline can make them rush off even when well hit? If it's the first time it's happened and you've shot without trouble before, I'd stick to what you use now.

I thought that this sort of thing can happen sometimes no matter how the shot is placed. If a Deer is spooked just before the shot, the Adrenaline can make them rush off even when well hit? If it's the first time it's happened and you've shot without trouble before, I'd stick to what you use now.

Deer react in a different way to different heart shots. A high heart shot will nearly always result in the beast running on for a distance but with a low heart shot it will not.

I have never found a BT hunting bullet to alter this fact.

The reason for this is that a high heart shot destroys the main blood arteries and it takes a short while for the beast to bleed out. It has nothing to do with adenaline.