Anyone switched from windows to a mac ?

paul1966

6 hours ago, discobob said:

Looks like a visit to the Genius bar which will be very expensive. Not sure - but I think even the screens on this model is tied to the laptop - that is the only trouble with Apple products...

The screen and camera are bonded to the lid - but browsing some Youtube how-to's seems to indicate it's possible to open up the case, remove a few bits and undo the lid brackets. Replacing it with a new one is a straightforward reversal of the dismantling process in good old fashioned Haines manual style.

4 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

The screen and camera are bonded to the lid - but browsing some Youtube how-to's seems to indicate it's possible to open up the case, remove a few bits and undo the lid brackets. Replacing it with a new one is a straightforward reversal of the dismantling process in good old fashioned Haines manual style.

Before you go ripping it apart -look up Louis Rossman on YouTube regarding your model. There may be a multitude of issues for you - from tied components to just the availability of the actual screen

Just to update re my 2020 MacBook Pro:
I canvassed various repairers for quotes to obtain and fit a replacement screen. However, I discovered the MacBook still functioned ok using a separate monitor so decided to obtain a new screen and lid and repair it myself. 20+ pentalobe screws removed, some connections undone and the old screen was off - and as the Haynes manuals used to say 'replacement is the reverse of disassembly'. Job done.

4 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

Just to update re my 2020 MacBook Pro:
I canvassed various repairers for quotes to obtain and fit a replacement screen. However, I discovered the MacBook still functioned ok using a separate monitor so decided to obtain a new screen and lid and repair it myself. 20+ pentalobe screws removed, some connections undone and the old screen was off - and as the Haynes manuals used to say 'replacement is the reverse of disassembly'. Job done.

Well done!!