Hornady 243 modified case for reloading

sonny2012

On 07/03/2024 at 13:31, sonny2012 said:

Has anyone got the above for sale the don't require anymore.

Thanks

It is best (and cheaper) to drill & tap a fired case from you own rifle. That way it is a better fit.

3 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

It is best (and cheaper) to drill & tap a fired case from you own rifle. That way it is a better fit.

In my experience using modified cases, you don't need a case that has been fired from your own rifle, but obviously making your own is going to be cheaper. I did this by drilling out the primer hole, making it bigger, then opening up the neck of the case so that a bullet slides in with ease, but not too slack. All I did then was to use a barbeque skewer to allow the bullet to be pushed part way out of the case. It worked well, although I do also have the 'proper' one.

2 hours ago, sonny2012 said:

Steve, I appreciate the information and I will try this!! 

Thank you once again

Antony 

No problem. Just make sure that the bullet is not too loose in the case neck, and when removing the case, do it carefully. 

10 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

In my experience using modified cases, you don't need a case that has been fired from your own rifle, but obviously making your own is going to be cheaper. I did this by drilling out the primer hole, making it bigger, then opening up the neck of the case so that a bullet slides in with ease, but not too slack. All I did then was to use a barbeque skewer to allow the bullet to be pushed part way out of the case. It worked well, although I do also have the 'proper' one.

..but if you drill out the primer hole & tap to match the Hornady Lok n Load comparitor, you don't need the BBQ skewer and the projectile ain't ever slack?