The general licences explained

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jall25 said:

Conor

Please could you advise which species and which general licence allows the use of live birds as decoys in traps ?

If it's England you mean then this covers it:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/standard-licence-conditions-for-trapping-wild-birds-and-using-decoys-gl33/valid-from-1-january-trapping-wild-birds-standard-licence-conditions-wml-gl33

Edited by Conor O'Gorman

34 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Thank you

I read the BASC website thinking it meant live decoys could be used for pigeon or corvid shooting if in traps - i read i wrongly i believe 

12 hours ago, jall25 said:

Thank you

I read the BASC website thinking it meant live decoys could be used for pigeon or corvid shooting if in traps - i read i wrongly i believe 

You mean this?

Can I use decoys to attract pigeons?

Provided you are carrying out control for the purpose and complying with the relevant general licence you are operating under, there is no reason why you cannot use decoys and plenty of practical reasons where their use could be beneficial, such as drawing birds into range, thus helping with the humane killing of such birds.

However, just to clarify, we are talking about using dead birds or artificial decoys, not tethered live birds, the use of which is illegal. The use of certain species as call birds, in cage traps, is permitted and covered by specific conditions in relevant general licences.

2 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

You mean this?

Can I use decoys to attract pigeons?

Provided you are carrying out control for the purpose and complying with the relevant general licence you are operating under, there is no reason why you cannot use decoys and plenty of practical reasons where their use could be beneficial, such as drawing birds into range, thus helping with the humane killing of such birds.

However, just to clarify, we are talking about using dead birds or artificial decoys, not tethered live birds, the use of which is illegal. The use of certain species as call birds, in cage traps, is permitted and covered by specific conditions in relevant general licences.

Yes - it can perhaps be read in two ways - if someone is not sure they may fall foul of it maybe ?