tikka t3 lite .222

Trefil Hunter

Rule of thumb - nothing more, nothing less . .

Clean it.

Fire one, then clean it again.

Do fire one/clean it/fire another until 5 shots.

Then fire 5 clean it/fire 5 until 20 shots.

After that clean it at normal intervals, whatever they are, some clean every shot or outing, others hardly bother.

Don't let it overheat, if it is getting hot, rest it.

The most important thing is to clean it using proper cleaning tools, i.e. a one piece rod and correct guide - don't use a bore snake.

Get some patches and jags and some cleaning fluid, don't forget to wash your hands before you eat your sarnies some of the fluids are a bit nasty.

You may get other opinions :good:

any other thoughts as im getting very confused by all the different things ive read? :good:

Fire a couple of factory loads down it, give it a good clean with cleaning patches and a cleaner fluid. Repeat 4 or 5 times then using a new bore brush (phosfer bronze) give it a good clean again to get rid of any stubborn deposits down the bore. Check all bolts/screws are tight.

Now fire another half dozen down it and get your zero dialled in as the rifle should be settling in by now. Clean thoroughly again and your good to go in my book. Then maintain by giving a good clean with patches etc every half dozen shots/ full day out.

Rule of thumb - nothing more, nothing less . .

Clean it.

Fire one, then clean it again.

Do fire one/clean it/fire another until 5 shots.

Then fire 5 clean it/fire 5 until 20 shots.

After that clean it at normal intervals, whatever they are, some clean every shot or outing, others hardly bother.

Don't let it overheat, if it is getting hot, rest it.

The most important thing is to clean it using proper cleaning tools, i.e. a one piece rod and correct guide - don't use a bore snake.

Get some patches and jags and some cleaning fluid, don't forget to wash your hands before you eat your sarnies some of the fluids are a bit nasty.

You may get other opinions :lol:

Your not wrong there Stuart ;) ...........Spot on advice though :good:

TBH myself and most don't really bother and I have to say that my rifle is not the worst for not doing a run in procedure .

From a laymens point of view what your trying to achieve is to remove those imperfections in the rifle bore (rifling) caused by the manufacturing process .............A match barrel is hand lapped whereby these imperfections are removed at stage of manufacture .

You don't want to be using expensive ammo and basically what I did was to put 20 rounds through in a Hour and then clean using a bore guide ,bronze brush ,butches bore shine and jag .........After a bit forget the Bronze brush IMO and just use Jag and patches .

Put 100 through this way before concentrating on serious zeroing ............222 is a very accurate round . :lol: