Which Rifle for Foxes & Occasional Roe Deer?

lawesy

Guys - your advice appreciated on this one......

I am lucky enough to have shooting on my Brother-in-Law's farm in Dorset (500 acres) and have been using a shotgun there for a while now for pheasants, pigeons and rabbits.

My brother-in-law has indicated that he would give his permission for me to use a rifle to shoot foxes and the occasional roe deer, of which there are many on the land.

I have no experience of rifle shooting and understand that I need to apply for a FAC, but is there a calibre of rifle that would be appropriate for both foxes and deer and if so, what would you recommend as a first rifle?

Yes, I realise I'm a lucky plonker, but would really appreciate some expert opinion and advice.

Many thanks in anticipation.

For fox and Roe deer your best bet would be a .243, a bit much for the rabbits though.

I'm not sure on legal requirements (minimum calibre) but it'll be on the B.A.S.C website somewhere.

The Tikka rifles are very popular and seem to have quite a following so you can't really go wrong there. Oh! And you are a very lucky *****r! :huh::lol:

You are slightly limited as what you require is what the police will class a dual purpose calibre.

It varies from area to area, so it may be worth checking with your firearms officer before you apply, but where I live a .243 or 6.5x55 would be the obvious candidates.

I would also ask them what they would expect from you (don't give them any clues) to be able to apply for a rifle like that, over and above permission from your brother in law.

It is great oppertunity, and I don't want to burst your bubble in any way, but they may want you to be mentored by someone if you have no previous firearms experience.

For fox and Roe deer your best bet would be a .243, a bit much for the rabbits though.

I'm not sure on legal requirements (minimum calibre) but it'll be on the B.A.S.C website somewhere.

The Tikka rifles are very popular and seem to have quite a following so you can't really go wrong there. Oh! And you are a very lucky *****r! :huh::lol:

Thanks for the quick response - any view on the type of scope to fit to a .243 for that quarry?

:lol:

.243 Win. :huh: As a first rifle 6.5x55 would be a bit OTT IMO. First rifle - depends how fussy you are and how big your wallet is, anything that shoots straight will do - they're fairly simple bits of kit really, nothing too much to go wrong. Best to do a search on guntrader to figure out what's out there in this calibre and in your price range then to do some internet searching on the manufacturers websites, or look/ask for reviews on here. Then go take a look/feel/try of the shortlisted ones :lol:

Re scope - again, where do you want to start, fixed v variable power, objective mm etc. Will you be shooting day/night/wood/fell ranges etc? General rule of thumb, spend the same on your glass as your rifle. Sounds like you have a LOT of reading/research to do first - but it's all good fun!

If you're only shooting Roe then a .243 will do the job nicely. The ammo is easy to come by and there are many rifles chambered in the calibre. If you think that you'll want to shoot bigger Deer in the future then 6.5x55 is a nice round (I've just bought one for Fox and Deer). It's probably the biggest round you'll get cleared for Fox. I think the 6.5 has a slightly more loopy trajectory than the .243, but it also hits harder. If you ever plan to hit a Red Stag then the 6.5 will do the job better than .243, especially at medium range.

EDIT.... I have a Tikka T3 laminate Stainless with a S&B 8x56 on it. It's a great combo. Maybe for long range Fox a variable mag scope would be better?

either 6.5 or 243 would be nice if you are only going to be hunting deer in the UK a 243 will do just fine, here in Canada we have some good sized deer and a 243 will do, but i wouldnt take it after even black bear although some well versed hunters might a regular amateur wouldnt want to

If you were in Scotland I'd say, a 22-250 as you can use .22CF there for Roe, but in England it's .243 as a minimum for deer. I use Steyr Pro Hunter rifles, I especially like them as they come pre-threaded for moderator, and have the safe bolt system - you can lock the bolt down which physically jams the firing pin and they won't go off even if dropped with one in the chamber.

If you're loading your own (which does a lot to omprove accuracy as well as saving money), I'd also recommend the Hornady SST projectile as it expands very reliably but doesn't do the same meat damage as a Nosler ballistic tip.

As you'll be shooting fox mostly, for scopes I'd go for the Leupold VXIII Long Range as with the saddle parallax adjustment, you can use an NV monocular on it, if you want to add one at any time.

If you are going to have a discussion with your FEO and you want to be better informed on suitable calibres try this link;

http://www.basc.org.uk/media/ho_guidance.pdf

And don't forget the "(but see paragraph 13.23)" in the fox column!

Which says;

Fox

13.23 Common rifle cartridges considered

suitable for the shooting of foxes range from

.17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250

and .220 Swift, though there is a wide range

of suitable similar calibres commercially

available. In windy areas, where heavier bullets

aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to

use one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes

they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or

6.5mm (.264) calibre. .22 Rimfire is generally