Rifle Rounds

siv

http://www.faanderson.co.uk/

There isn't a lot that can be mail ordered these days, give them a call or go visit.

There is another shop in East Grinstead but I can never remember what they are called - someone else might

Oh and :rolleyes: to PW.

Second Andersons, and the other shop is East grinstead Guns, very good for gunsmithing too. They do most of Anderson's work.

Also try KWG at Handcross

Jerry

Cheers guys! You have all been very helpful. I am trying to decide what caliber to get when i apply for my licence and get my first rifle. Im gonna be mostly target shooting but will also be doing some pest control at a later date! Any suggestions??

Cheers J

Cheers guys! You have all been very helpful. I am trying to decide what caliber to get when i apply for my licence and get my first rifle. Im gonna be mostly target shooting but will also be doing some pest control at a later date! Any suggestions??

Cheers J

thats a very open question - what type of pests and range of targets would help very much

if your only shooting rats,rabbits and pigeons etc and only going to shoot 100yrd targets or less, then a .17hmr maybe a very good choice.

.17hmr will get you out to 250yrd ( with no wind and ideal conditions)

other wise i'd suggest maybe a .223 centrefire

I have been looking at .243 win remington 700 sps? Does anyone have any experience with this rifle? Range, accuracy, reliablity etc

Cheers J

I would ask for 222 or larger and .17HMR and .22, all with moderators.

Be sure to ask for expanding and solid ammunition as some authorities are funny about what you can have, I was with the Met but am now with Essex, the Met would not allow solid or ball, but Essex have allowed me both :P

Once you have your ticket I would buy a .17HMR, have a play with that and then you will be more able to decide whats best for you. This is very accurate out to 150 yds even with a bit of wind, and in ideal conditions will go out further.

Look at this site http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

I only have a .17HMR and two .22's, I shoot on 1200 acres but would not be happy using anything stronger than a .17HMR.

Your land may have huge back drops and V large fields which would suit a hot far reaching round, I find the .17 does 200yd clean kills, and the .22 is great for silence.

But I do not shoot foxes at all, only rabbits, corvids and other small vermin - pests.

Good luck with it all

• 1 month later...

If you're going for your first centrefire then 0.223 is the easiest way to go. Accurate out to 200 yards or so, cheap ammo and easy to shoot . Plenty of 0.223 are used on ranges for well beyond 200 yards, and heavier bullets are normally used for this. If you are going down the long range target road then you will need advice regarding the amount of twist needed in the barrel for the heavier bullets.

Be aware that police in most areas will not sanction a 0.223 for rabbits, crows etc. The rules may be seen to be daft, but they are the rules. One of these days a uniform policy will prevail, but until then be sure to ask the police exactly what is allowed. Join BASC (or similar), and they will be able to give you lots of advice regarding what you can do, and what the local police are like in your area.

Don