Old air guns

Toby

Hi, My grandfather gave me and my dad 2 air rifles and an air pistol (well gat gun) about 4 years ago. The pistol and 1 of the air rifles were Diana and were what got me in to shooting. but the 3rd gun is a slight mystery, its all together rather strange, it cocks right up near the stock (like a shotgun) but when its cocked it presents no chamber to put a pelet in, instead you unsrcrew an almost invisibe part of the barel which allows a short rod to be removed. however the biggest mystery is that the opening to this miniture barrel is not even big enough for a .177 pellet? My grandad can't recall where he got it or even if he has ever been able to fire it.

Any ideas?

Sorry i can't insert pics in here for some reason so if you want me to send some then pls just ask and i will pm them 2 you.

hi bud, When I was a child about 12 in the early 1950,s I had a air rifle that cocked in the way you describe,on cocking you could see two strong wires that activated the piston being drawn back, on closing the gun I then had to untwist the knurled end of the barrel upon which the end came away and with it the barrel from inside the pressed steel barrel shroud. I then put a pellet in the breech end of the detached barrel and replaced it back into the shrouded outer, (it was a very feeble powered Gun, smoothbored and could only really shoot cat slugs about 4 grains) allthough it acounted for many a sparrow on the roof guttering!, The one I had was a German Diana (Pre war.) tinplate. cheers.

Thanks to Snipper I have been able to discover that the gun is a Diana Mod 1! The calliber issue is still on going because it wont take .177 darts or pellets although i have had some information about 'slugs' which are slightly smaller in diameter?

Any info on the slug matter would be greatfully apreciated and thanks very much to Snipper!

Cheers, Toby

Thanks to Snipper I have been able to discover that the gun is a Diana Mod 1! The calliber issue is still on going because it wont take .177 darts or pellets although i have had some information about 'slugs' which are slightly smaller in diameter?

Any info on the slug matter would be greatfully apreciated and thanks very much to Snipper!

Cheers, Toby

If you had read my reply you would have seen I described exactly down to the twin wire rods that could be seen when cocking the gun, plus the cat slug ammo that fitted it , Glad that snipper took the credit for my info! Just had a rummage through my ammo collection, found 1 and a half boxes of cat slugs, though they only came in cardboxes of 200 at the time.they have turned white now due to old age.

Cheers, Toby

If you had read my reply you would have seen I described exactly down to the twin wire rods that could be seen when cocking the gun, plus the cat slug ammo that fitted it , Glad that snipper took the credit for my info! Just had a rummage through my ammo collection, found 1 and a half boxes of cat slugs, though they only came in cardboxes of 200 at the time.they have turned white now due to old age.

theres an antique airgun club that meet up at bisley shooting center....they might be able to help mate

lee :angry:

Cheers, Toby

Dont know why I should give you any more info really?.... But the calibre is....... No, 1 bore :lol::lol::yay: PS, dont forget to thank snipper,? :lol::lol::lol:

Hee Hee Hee, yeah, Ok guys, I was begining to feel like the old guy in the corner at family gatherings, muttering wise advice that no one was listening too, untill 5 min, later a young member would repeat what I was saying a few min, earlier!!and would be compliamented on his knowlidge!!Ha Ha Ha, no offence taken, cheers! :lol::lol:

Hhm, I cant really help you anymore there then bud , the no, 1 bore pellets I found had turned white, through oxyidation, and I chucked them in the bin, dustmen came today so they have gone! they were sold by a English company but I cant remember which one.! on the front of the cardboard boxes was a cartoon of a black cat as if it was receiving a electric shock! If I was you I would write to Airgun World and ask their old airgun expert with the knowledge you have gleaned, and I am sure he can help you with your quest!!Good luck, Ron , B,MAN1