Field trial question

dusk2dawn

A question please to current field trial entrants.

Shown in this weeks ST report of the 2007 Ret Championships, a yellow lab competing with two birds in it mouth, my understanding of the rules is that it would be sent for a designated retrieve therefore it had deviated from its intended retrieve in order to collect the second bird.

The caption says that it was awarded a DOM how can this be so?

:lol: D2D

because one bird was on top of the other that is why he brought back two birds

But what are the chances of that happening? 10000000/1?

there was no further mention of the circumstances that I could see in the article, the birds would have been shot during a drive in the normal way.

Perhaps what I am asking is that if the dog had gone out of its way to pick a second bird then surely it should have been eliminated? Not awarded.

:lol: D2D

It had to be two birds dead on top of one another, or the dog would have been eliminated.

On a Field Trial at Buckenham, just outside of Norwich many years ago, I had a springer running in the trial being handled by the chap who trained her.

They were walking up some beet and a bird was flushed, shot and run.

A dog was sent for it, but couldn't find it, another dog was sent and couldn't find it.

The trial continued and in the same field a bird was shot and run (by now we were near the end of the field).

A dog was sent, it went out of the field and behind a hedgerow with an overgrown ditch and returned with two birds, one dead and one alive.

It was decided that the dead bird was the first runner and the dog was not eliminated, but the run didn't count and it was sent on another bird later in the Trial.

There was a lot of discussion and debate over lunch and some thought it should have been eliminated, some thought the run should have counted and others thought the re-run was the right decision.