High gun rib

countryman

Guest The Outlaw

These ribs are normally on trap shooting guns, it is to do with the style of shooting and the type of target.

Trap targets are normally rising and going away so the higher rib is used to reduce the need to allow for eye alighnment to be changed.

A sporter has a flat rib normally and the sight picture is flat allowing you to see your target all the time.

With a sporter the shot travels up above the sight line (shoots higher) so you can see the target all the time.

It all sounds abit cock eyed but this is the best way I can explain it.

I'm sure there are others on here that could word it better.

Tony

Hi

I've seen a few clay pigeon guns around with very high ribs on, I think Beretta call them X trap.

Whats the reasoning behind this? And does it help?

Thanks

Chris

as outlaw has mentioned its a point of aim/impact adjustment for different disciplines, you will find some trap guns with an adjustable rib, this can be set for different distances in some games e.g setting your rib for a target at 35 yds wont help with a target at 65 yds.

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/arti...0High-Rib%20Gun

if you take a look at this link you'll find a better explanation

Martin

;) Just been out today with my Berreta 686 special /sporter with a flat rib. First shots with me new gun.

Checked the point of point of impact firing at a bale of straw with a piece of paper marked with 30inch dia circle at 35 yds. Yes it does fire high, about 70% above 30% below, just as it should do! but knowing this, did not appear to help me hit the targets??

Hit some ok at times, got me thinking i'd cracked it! But, Next round of 8 shots i couldn't *** a barn door. hows this work then??

i had used one extensivley for trap, it was a Kreigof k80 adj rib 32" great gun boring discipline, ,,,,,,,,, thats me, i cant stands trap, i relate it to drywalling,,,,,,

ooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the pain of it all, in my humble opinion i offer you this advice, if your looking for a trap gun only buy one, if you want a gun that you cant shoot a multitude of disciplines buy a gun with an adjustable stock, i have browning 525 with that option, i can set it for trap targets or sporting targets or skeet targets, its like having a utlitiy shotgun, who said guys and guns cant multi task ;):oops:

Martin

Guest The Outlaw
;) Just been out today with my Berreta 686 special /sporter with a flat rib. First shots with me new gun.

Checked the point of point of impact firing at a bale of straw with a piece of paper marked with 30inch dia circle at 35 yds. Yes it does fire high, about 70% above 30% below, just as it should do! but knowing this, did not appear to help me hit the targets??

Hit some ok at times, got me thinking i'd cracked it! But, Next round of 8 shots i couldn't *** a barn door. hows this work then??

You are shooting it at the right distance on you pattern paper but are you doing the same thing on the clay?

The further away with a high shooting gun you are the lower you will have to shoot as the shot will be rising all the time, also the further away the target is the more holes will appear in your pattern.

I wouldnt try to *** a barn door either you could get splinters in your nipples :oops:

Tony

you have correctly identified the poi of your gun in a static shot, not a motion shot, to be honest patterning your gun will give more of an idea on choke density, barrel alignment than how you shoot a target, think about it .

1 you set a target 35 yds away, way to far to start with 15 yds will sufice

2 you load your gun

3 you stand comfortably, dont want to get it wrong now

4 you shoulder your gun, get it in the pkt check that the wood's on the wood ,,,,,, face to stock for the uninformed

5 you settle yourself in, muzzle to target

6 check breathing, we want this right,,,,,,,,right

7 ready

8 squeeze trigger

9 bang

10 unload and set gun down, casualy wander to target and check

REAL WORLD

1 your in a stand 1a your in a hide

2 you call a target 2a you spot a bird

3 you move mount and shoot 3a you react and swing and shoot

wheres the relationship to the above :oops:

how you shoot a moving target differs greatly to static shooting, its reactive shooting.

to find out where and why your missing you need help, a competant shooter, not your mate who has the same problem, or is the smae level as you, i mean a person who walks the walk they talk, most grounds will have a shooter/instructor who know his onions, a good thing is to go out alone and get him/her to give you instruction on a few simple things like foot placement and target address, two very crucial points to setting up for a shot, take a couple of points and work on them first, move to the next level and do the same, dont go in like a bull in a china shop thinking you'll meet Digweed for the next grand prix an kick hisass,

baby steps my friend baby steps, oh and never lose sight of the fact your out to have fun and enjoy the time, when you get to the point of its getting frustrating, stop!!!! you dont need to overload your mind, you can come back in a few days and do it again :lol:

Martin

;) Thanks Martin, I needed that advice. you have made me feel better!!

The thing is i know its going to take time, i've been told that this is how it is. but being a very good rifle shot makes me want to get on quicker than i should.

I've got a man I know you said to come see him at the shooting ground if I was strugling. The next shoot is not till the first sunday in the month :oops:

Can't wait.

Thanks.

Pat.