New to shooting, been twice now.

Cosd

Hi,

Having got my licence, gun and some camo gear with a friend we have been to a farm introduced to us by my friends dad the last two sundays.

It was overcast and windy so from what I have read thought it should be a decent day for shooting pigeons.

We spread out, my friend had bought 5 decoys and a pop-up hide, I had neither so set out in one corner of the field taking

cover in a ditch surrounded buy trees and growth. My friend went to the oposite corner.

The field (I think) is planted with wheat and is about 4 inches high. We set up at about 7.30 as the day broke and stayed till around 2.

It was extremely quiete, not very much going on other than the odd birds flying through. Briefly, the first week was better for the amount of birds but nothing like I have been reading here on the forums. My friend shot two and I just one. the last Sunday we got two each, I'd shot just eight cartridges (no 7's 30g), and if I'm totally honest I probably should have shot two more birds and the other 4 shots were more desperation than anything else as they were a little too far.

Grim as it may sound, we have both got the bug now, having enjoyed the days so much and are definitely not giving up.

I've now ordered 12 shell decoys, a couple of flocked full bodies to add to some home made lofting poles (project still in progress), a pop-up hide and one of those bucket things with the swivel top.

My mates on holiday this week so we're missing this Sunday but plan for the next.

Apart from boring you guys to death, the reason for this blogg is for absolutely any advice really you wish to offer a couple of newbies.

I'm not sure if the field we are in is the right one, or whether we have just been unlucky.

Looking forward to any tips guys!

It is not impossible to decoy pigeons on to wheat (in its present state), but its not easy as there is generally nothing there for the pigeons to eat and usually they use those fields for resting.

The answer is to find where they are feeding and that means time spent on reconnaisance.

If you look around the Forum (especially Tips and Tricks) there are plenty of threads giving advice on specific areas of decoying and pigeon shooting generally.

Its difficult to make one post answer everything, so if you have specific questions ask away, as they are much easier to answer. :good:

Hi mate :unsure: sounds like you need to put some time in on the land with or without gun find a couple of flight lines then set ya self up. Remember sall so this time of the year the pigeons will more often than not be moving around in flocks so if you have some adjoining fields that the pigeons are hitting ie rape or cover crops watch them find the flight line then set up under it. First time some one said flight line to me I thought how the hell am I going to find that but you soon find it after about 20 mins of watching.

Hi mate :unsure: sounds like you need to put some time in on the land with or without gun find a couple of flight lines then set ya self up. Remember sall so this time of the year the pigeons will more often than not be moving around in flocks so if you have some adjoining fields that the pigeons are hitting ie rape or cover crops watch them find the flight line then set up under it. First time some one said flight line to me I thought how the hell am I going to find that but you soon find it after about 20 mins of watching.

How do I recognise 'rape' fields?