How do gunsmiths raise stock combs

Si-Bore

I have just tried on a pad from my Beartooth comb raising kit I used for my HMR on my s/s. The 5mm pad gives the perfect sight picture everytime. I think I will shoot well with this as a permanent fixture.

So my Q is - how do gunsmiths raise the comb on a SG?

Thanks

Si

there are a couple of ways to do it, a worthwhile gun, eg, expensive higher quality will have the stock adjusted by hot oil, the stocksmith will apply heated oil and soak the stock wrapping in rag/coth to keep the oil and heat in, then by applying gently moves and small amounts of force adjust the stock to suit.

for us normal folk add a wrap or pad :blush: same job different price, an adjustable stock can be fitted but a costly add on to any gun, as to your sxs i would add something like a neoprene pad layer by to find what suits you, its a cheaper solution, once your height is set your call take it and have a stock custom made , or bind tape around it and use as is.

Martin

Thanks mate. Was thinking about trying a 6mm Kick EEZ cheek pad. They stick on and look comfy without the need for straps etc round the stock.

Si

Yes Ok My Mate,... But remember, A 6m/m will give you about a 1/4 of a inch rise on your combe,.... If you find you are now shooting higher than you need, then try a 3m/m combe riser,,, Much cheaper than a pro, instructer!!!. Regards,

Thanks mate. Was thinking about trying a 6mm Kick EEZ cheek pad. They stick on and look comfy without the need for straps etc round the stock.

Si

Yes Ok My Mate,... But remember, A 6m/m will give you about a 1/4 of a inch rise on your combe,.... If you find you are now shooting higher than you need, then try a 3m/m combe riser,,, Much cheaper than a pro, instructer!!!. Regards,

:lol::lol::lol: sorry Bman , i thought a 6mm riser gave you 6mm, just kidding,before you bite my head off, i find it funny when guys compare metric to imperial, why didnt you say 1/8th instead of 3mm. :blush:

Martin

Si

Cheers dude. I am used to shooting a trap gun so high combs are my forte. :blush:

Off shooting now so anymore feedback welcomed.

Si

I saw an interesting raised comb a few years ago that had been done in clear acrylic. The 'smith or stockmaker had made a temporary comb raiser to the customer's requirements, then duplicated it in acrylic when the customer was satisfied.

Very interesting, and the internal reflection made it look like walnut until you got really close- only then could you see what it really was.