Mixed weekend

old rooster

Took my Springer Jessie out to a small friends shoot on Saturday, after the other dogs and beaters had walked a patch of cover I put her in and she put up two missed birds. Moved on to the river where two Canada geese were shot, one of which fell in the river and drifted down until it caught on a branch, sent Jessie in thinking she would just bring it to the waters edge but she hauled the thing right up the bank much to everybodys surprise!.

Finished the day with 2 geese, 2 brace of pheasants 2 pigeons and a rabbit.

Sunday I set off with Jessie and my shooting mate to flight geese, couple of skeins came over and we had 3 between us. Dog unfortunately jumped a fence and slashed her leg open while looking for rabbits so had to miss the last day beating at the shoot we go to today. Vet says it will heal itself and won't need stitches so thats a relief (and to the wallet!)

Weather turned a bit calm for pigeon shooting here, there are a lot about on the rape but they are very spooky once a shot or two has been fired.

Drilling to look forward to in Spring perhaps but most of it goes in so well these days that if they find it at all its cleared up pretty quickly and off the pigeons go to pastures new.

The "mopping up" days toward the end of the season can be some of the best days of the year.

I have often thought that a single gun with a springer slowly working the cover, will move more birds than a team of beaters moving through, often too quickly.

It was bad luck with the cut leg, but it sounds as though it could have been a lot worse.

When you think how they throw themselves about , its surprising they don't get damaged more often.

Whatto OR.

I know what you mean about birds being missed by the main flushing crew. I have decided or noticed, not sure which, that the dogs become increasingly competitive in putting up birds hence the missed ones. Thats why I like being a back gun with my dog :good:

Sorry to hear about the tear but like you said it's a lot cheaper than getting them knitted at the vets :oops:

LB