Best time to set up?

apbuild

Hi Abuild,

Welcome to the forum, you will find out everything you need on this site to become a more successful pigeon/ vermin shooter.

Your question about the best time to set up really does depend on the area you’re shooting, I’m fairly new to the game myself and my first few outings were chance encounters with pigeons.

What I mean by this is, when I set up on my first two outings I was trying to pull birds into an area that the birds were not really feeding on, If you are decoying like this then you will only get the birds that are heading to and fro from there main feeding areas, so it will be very quite after the morning and right through until late afternoon.

If you have done some good recces and you are going to shoot a field that the birds are feeding on then you should expect action most of the day with the best times being morning and afternoon, I set up usually about 5pm and shoot the afternoon until you see the birds going to roost.

I find this to be most productive but just getting out and seeing what the birds are doing through the day will give you a wealth of knowledge on every session you have.

Like many will say on the forum it’s the recces that play a very important part in getting a quality bag together, unless your invited to shoot over some land that is getting hammered, the recces is only required when you get there.

Happy woody shooting

The PM

Cheers mate, glad to be of some help but like I say I'm new also but getting out and watching what’s going on really improves your next session.

Its a bit like going bird watching as well as shooting, your trying to learn what we used to call in the forces a pattern of life, everything including humans do the same things at similar times of the day and pigeons are the same.

We are all constantly learning about what they prefer to eat at various times in the day and year and the more we know about their pattern of life the better equipped we are at providing pest control.

Thanks anyway for your comments

The PM