O/U one barrel not always firing?

Totality

I have a cheapy O/U Classic Sporting (Thats all its known as! Turkisj apparently!). Strange things happened to it today however. When breaking the gun, loading it with safty on and closing in before taking the safety off and firing it only the lower barrel would fire sometimes. I would pull the trigger again and nothing would happen! Putting the safety on then off again and trying again allowed the upper barrel to fire. Repeat again and it would work fine for a while before messing up again!

Anyone know what could be causing this? I've stripped the gun afterwards and oiled it. It's new and I noticed the ejectors werent oiled at all and the upper one was sticking quite badly. Could a sticking ejector cause the problem? Having trouble figuring out how O/U guns work with one trigger.

Closing the gun with 2 empty cartridges in it and pulling the trigger replicates the problem. Pull once and the firing pin clicks. Pull again and nothing happens. Safety on then off and the other barrel fires! Witout firing live ammo however I can never get both firing pins to click anyway which is causing me confusion.

As you can probably tell I'm new to O/U with one triggers! Used to semis but moved across now!

How are they meant to work? Should pulling the trigger twice always make the gun fire twice even when not firing live ammo? :good:

EDIT: Just been searching on google and found that the "recoil" of firing live ammo sets the gun to fire from the next barrel hence why you have to select the upper barrel manually when dry firing. So only have to wonder whats broken for the recoil to not be doing its job! Still wondering if the sticking ejectors had anything to do with it as maybe the gun thought the chamber was empty when reloaded!

Edited by Totality

You say the gun is new.

New to you or brand new and still in warrantee?

If in warrantee get it back to the shop.

If new to you but an old gun, then there could be somthing wrong with

the second pin releasing.

If it is old and you are confident then have a look at the trigger

mech and see if there is somthing amiss.

taz.

Edited by taz24

Before you go any further try this, fire bottom barrel first, then give the recoil pad a good hard slap with your hand, on many guns the inertia off the first shot sets the second shot, the slap will replicate this, I was caught out on this when I bought my first gun, a Beretta 687 and I was practising mounting and dry firing.

If this is happening as I read it when you are using live ammo out on the stand/field, make sure that the threaded rod from action through the stock is done up tight. I had a similar problem beginning of last year and it turned out that the stock wasn't tight to the action and that the 1mm of play (Not noticable when handling) was enough to stop the second barrel firing by the enertia mechanism not throwing the selector across.

SS

Why not take to a gunsmith and get it serviced. DIY repairs can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. I certainly don't and took an O/U with a similar problem to a gunsmith. It was manky inside and needed a good clean and service. Fine after that. Best £12.20 I spent for a long time.

Edited by DaveK

With little info to go on then it is hard to ascertain if this gun indeed has the inertia system for the trigger or wether it has the same system as the single trigger baikal.

The baikal has a system that will allow you to pull the trigger and release the sears on BOTH strikers (without) recoil.

On the last game shoot MY baikal suffered the same problem so I stripped it down cleaned and reoiled the whole mechanism.

After testing again the same happened (bottom) them nothing.

Next time you try dry firing it and the top barrel fails give the trigger a nudge FORWARD instead of back with your ear next to the trigger mech. If it's the same as the Baikal you will here a dull click then the top should fire!

On the Baikal there is a small tention spring pushing the trigger forward and MINE was weak. After replacing the small spring (you COULD have a gun smith do it) mine was fine.