Airgun Pellets

monkeyjaimz

Morning guys,

This is really just a thread to demonstrate the ways differant pellets perform in differant barrels, to give a bit of information to those who are unaware. Im not sure if its been done before but as I've noticed more and more questions about which pellets are 'best' etc. I thought it might be a good idea.

To those who are unaware, every airgun barrel is differant and therefore they are each going to perform well with potentially differant pellets. Even then, you may find a pellet that perform very well through the barrell - but the magazine that you have (in the case of multishot pcp's) might not like them and frequent jamming etc could ensue :blush:

Really the only way to find out which pellet is 'best' for your gun is to try as many as possible.

The pictures below show a selection of pellets that i've tried through my Air Ranger.

Each target had 10 shots that were fired at a distance of 35 yards from a bipod with no wind.

Barracudas:

Barracudas.jpg

Bisley Superfields:

superfields.jpg

Crossman Premieres:

premieres.jpg

Field & Target Trophy:

fttrophy.jpg

Hopefully you can see the differances in the groupings there :lol:

I also got good results from AA Fields and Penatrators, but as said before - the mag didnt like them and unless you're using a single shot tray then that takes them out of the running.

At the moment I'm using the Barracudas for bipod-ing (they dont half pack a clout) and the Superfields for stalking etc as they fly a lot flatter due to them being a bit lighter.

Hopefully this will help a few people who find this a bit confusing or are just new to the sport :lol:

There is a place you can order sample packs of pellets (as I have done many times) online, but at the risk of sounding like a blatant advert for them, I wont include it in the post.

Alright then, for those of you who didnt know, it's pellpax :lol:

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/acatalog/Pellpax_SAmple_Packs.html

MJ.

Edited by monkeyjaimz

I tried Bisley Pest Control in my HW100 when I first bought it, they where acurate to 20 yds but at 35 there was upto 2" between pellets on the target!!! I changed to AirArms and was getting 14 shots in a 1/2" grouping :lol:

I put this down to the hollow point on the Bisley putting them off course the further from the gun the where but then tried Napier .177 and they still didn't have the same quality grouping as the AirArms.

good reply mate,but what ime trying to say isthat surelyan air ranger barrel will be the same which ever air ranger you own, as an x2 should be.otherwise their is something wrong with quality control.so what ime saying is,if you own an x2 if they barrel fussy ,they should all like the same pellet. does this make sence :good::w00t::lol::lol:

good reply mate,but what ime trying to say isthat surelyan air ranger barrel will be the same which ever air ranger you own, as an x2 should be.otherwise their is something wrong with quality control.so what ime saying is,if you own an x2 if they barrel fussy ,they should all like the same pellet. does this make sence :yes::D:good::lol:

I understand what you're saying mate, but the reality is that you could buy 2 identical rifles at the same time from the same place and they might group better with differant pellets. Every barrel is slightly differant.