Time to get permision i think

Toby

HI,

You probably get people asking this sort of question all the time but here goes...

Right, i'm 15 and have been doing air rifle target shooting (very casualy maybe its just plinking?) for abotu 3 years, I owned a B2, and yes, ther are as rubish as people say, however, on friday i bought a BSA Supersport (.177) and was extreemly pleased with the results I am getting! ive only be able to use it in the garden so far (20yrds) but can shoot beer bottle caps at that range. It sudenly became clear to me that I could do some airgun hunting.

So, the questions are...

1. at my age am I likely to be able to get permision?

2. If so then will my BSA superpsort be up to it(i have heard people say that you need .22 for hunting?).

3. How do I go about getting permision?

Thanks guys, I really want this!

Let me start of by saying that I'm 15 too but I'm fortunate enough that my Dad owns stables with 2 acres of woodland. The only thing you might have to worry about is if the landowner is bothered about the fact that you're under the legal age to possess an air rifle, which he probably will be.

Your best bet is asking someone you already know.

I have spoken to my dad and he recons that A farmer would want atleast a full day a week of help and that i can not afford the time becuse im in the second year of my GCSE's (spose he's right)

so what else can i do? if anything?

hes not atall interested in shooting so i cant go with him, he did sugest that i talk to my local shooting ground and see wether they know of anyone I could do some rat/vermin controll with?

any ideas or thoughts?

Hi Toby,

I shoot for several farmers and they don't require a set time/ day for shooting or any help about their farms, but I do get them a couple of bottles of wine at Christmas and clear any litter up that I find whilst in the field.

Call a few farms/ landowners up around your area (I search on Yell.com for farmers) and speak to them direct. Explain that you have a passion about shooting, that your safe using a gun and the type of gun you have. Insurance may also be a bonus but each landowner has different preferences. Once you have spoken with them over the phone they will more than likely wish to meet you, dress smart and be polite and you should walk out with a shoot. Don't be concerned with people saying no, it is a lot of responsibility for them!

I hope this helps.

thanks, thats really good advice!

My dad (being a bit of a worrier) says that i should contact my local gun club and see if they know of any farmers who need some controll.

Also I might ring the gamekeeper on the shoot i was beating on this season and see if he needs any vermin controll, maybe shooting the rats in the pens?

cheers, toby

Toby,

I doubt whether your local clay club would have a list of Farmers eager to see airgun toting youngsters on their land, so forget that idea.

If you have a good relationship with the Keeper, work on that one, go that extra mile for him, offer to stake out the pens to polish off the odd rat, crow or maggie and you'll soon be in his good books, this will then open doors to other Farmers, and before you know it, you'll have access to more land than you can cover.

Be polite, use common sense and don't upset people and you'll find there's plenty of shooting available.

Cat.

Toby, Give him a ring as soon as you can.the next few months of year is when most of the pest control is done, later in the year when the birds are out in the woods you probably won't have as much freedom to walk arround if he lets you help. He can't have the birds disturbed too much.