Argh, Safe Dilema

sunshinedave

I live in a new modern flat. Needless to say all of the walls are plasterboard, even if there is a brick wall behind it, its too far back to anchor into.

Anyway, theres only one location I can really put my safe, and that is led down in a cupboard in the bedroom and boltedto the concrete floor - not a problem so far.

Been to Litts and got a price on a safe, perfect, or so I thought, until I came back and measured it. The Infac BT4 (4 gun, locktop) safe is 150cm tall. My cupboard is 147cm wide :good::(

Can't find any cabinets with internal locking tops that will fit (ideally about 140cm tall to give me room to play with). Any know of any?

My only other thought is that the Infac 4gun (non locktop) safe is 140cm tall. And will fit, however I guess I'll have to purchase a seperate lockable ammunition safe that I can also bolt to the floor next to it :yes:.

Any suggestions guys? I'd really hate to buy a non-locktop to be honest, as when I move in the future, I'd prefer it all in one cabinet!

Cheers <_<

If you have a concreat floor why not use four rawl bolts to bolt it down through the base, they usually have pre drilled holes in the base, and just use heavy duty plasterboard type fixings just to make it stable

OR

just contact your FEO he shold be able to guide you in the right direction for their needs in this situation, would be a ****** to fix it down and find that the FEO would rather a different option

Ian

Cheers guys....

The safe I was looking at does have four attachment points in the bottom, bolting it upright to the floor would be the perfect solution really......I just wonder if the FEO would be happy? It will be solid and unmovable, but he may not like it? Anyone got one stood up but only fixed through the bottom?

As I said just check with your FEO by phone, IMO should be ok BUT ALSO FIX TO WALL WITH HEAVY DUTY PLASTERBOARD FIXINGS and probably use coach bolts not screws into the wall. make sure that it goes in the corner with the opening side of the door nearest the corner to minimise leverage potential on the door.

Ian

Thanks mate. Unfortunately due to it being a rented flat I cannot drill into the walls to fix it to that! :lol:

The inbuilt wardrobe in the bedroom is the best bet, as I can just remove the carpet, fit the safe and replace the small 150x50 peice of carpet when I leave (hiding and bolt holes in the floor :)).

I'll ring the FEO tomorrow and ask, It'll either be floor bolted upright locktop, or I'll get a smaller non-locktop and a seperate ammo safe led on it's side. :good: