Sloe's

sphinx121

According to the "old wives" you should pick them after the first frost, but as long as they are ripe I have never noticed any difference. More sloes about last year than I have ever seen, the branches were hanging down with the weight. That reminds me, must be time for a taster, don't want it going off! Also made some blackberry brandy for the first time, might give that a try as well.

Seeing this thread I picked a few pounds of them last year (before the frost I might add) but I have heard that you can cheat that idea by freezing them solid and then using as it has the same desired effect which is to split the skins.

I would say they are solid by now as they are still in the freezer :good:

Bottled mine today.

I managed to spill the Sloe Vodka, but salvaged just enough for two full bottles (without getting a taste myself :blink: )

Just finishing the Sloe Gin and it looks like i have half a glass to sample :lol:

Oh and if anyone is thinking of using Douwe Eggberts coffee filters to filter your Sloe whatever, don't it's a mission in misery :lol:

"Oh and if anyone is thinking of using Douwe Eggberts coffee filters to filter your Sloe whatever, don't it's a mission in misery "

:blink: If only I had read this before I tried it, never again! :P Especially when you squeeze it to try and force it through! Been there etc.... :lol:

I'll give you a tip, use a pair of tights when you filter it :lol: ...works a treat :lol: The last batch I made ended in disaster :lol: I did 2 litres worth, left it for 12 months shaking it once a week. It tasted lovely, filtered it off and bottled it up in a big green bottle. THEN, after 2 weeks of it being near a radiator... BOOM :blink: It went bloody everywhere and stained the carpet aswell. All I managed to salvage for all my hard work was 1 inch worth of gin, I was in a foul mood for a couple of days :P . But there, you learn from your mistakes as they say and now I know to keep it away from any source of heat :P

Jay