speakers

col s10

as above.now this is along shot guys,but here goes.i own a pair of wharfdale 512 speakers.i havent used them for about 8 years,because i blew one of the drivers in each speaker.i have been told i need to send them back to wharfdale,because you need a special tool to remove said driver.any hi fi bods out there with advice. thanks in advance Col :yes::hmm:

trying to get my head round how to post a pic,give me a few days.on that point of blowing the speaker.why does that happen.i have a class 1 amp,yes i play loud but so what.i have a bose system now,cant burst them,lthough the wharfdales sounded better.by the way i payed 600 quid in 1985 for them :blush:

I gues you might get speakers with the same capability for a whole lot less dosh these days to save you fixing?I used to have Mission speakers,NAD amp etc but the modern stuff seems just as good for cheaper cash. May be wrong.

I gues you might get speakers with the same capability for a whole lot less dosh these days to save you fixing?I used to have Mission speakers,NAD amp etc but the modern stuff seems just as good for cheaper cash. May be wrong.

good comment,but say i payed 200 quid for repair,nothing would come close,to the sound i used to get. :blush:

What used to be called "HiFi" is a very difficult subject nowadays. 40 years ago I had a pair of Wharfedale Glendale speakers driven by a Quad amp that I thought gave the ultimate in sound.

Today I get infinitely better sound from a little Bose unit that is about a quarter of the size of a single Glendale speaker (and a tenth of the weight). The problem is that whereas, sound-wise, nothing will beat Bose, I have to say that imho they are (in UK at least) dreadfully poor value for money. I got mine free because my son works for the company in America and he was upgrading his own personal set-up.

But do explore modern kit before spending much money repairing older stuff.

blowing a speaker- its not always how loud you play it for i was always told it was how long for,if your into heavy rock and music with deep long bass notes (the type that gives you that kick in the chest). This feeling is caused by frequency below 20 hz. When this happens the rubber seal around the speaker magnet becomes hot and after long periods of time or frequent use will melt the bond, causing you to lose air pressure and in turn sound.

posting a picture- upload picture onto an online photo album,copy the img code ([/img]),click on the insert image in here and paste the img code.

Hope this helps

James

What used to be called "HiFi" is a very difficult subject nowadays. 40 years ago I had a pair of Wharfedale Glendale speakers driven by a Quad amp that I thought gave the ultimate in sound.

Today I get infinitely better sound from a little Bose unit that is about a quarter of the size of a single Glendale speaker (and a tenth of the weight). The problem is that whereas, sound-wise, nothing will beat Bose, I have to say that imho they are (in UK at least) dreadfully poor value for money. I got mine free because my son works for the company in America and he was upgrading his own personal set-up.

But do explore modern kit before spending much money repairing older stuff.

I also have a Bose speaker system,they sound great.the big wharfdales soundedamazing,down to being able to hear the amps buzzing on live recordings.