slugs

Just a quick question, I was reading on this site in the for sale section a gentleman was selling slugs for reloading 12 bore carts. Some of the replies suggested that these carts could only be used under a fac. Is this right :lol:?

because i have always thought a shotgun is smooth bore so using slugs would be ok. Even the use of a cannon only needs a shotgun license is this right????:lol:

The size of shot is the governing factor, 5 or or more pellets is OK, providing that none of them exceeds .36" in diameter. This means that a 410, loaded with 4 pellets even though smaller than .36 would require a FAC. Possession of shotgun slugs is legal, possession of cartridges loaded with slugs requires an FAC. The use of a cannon would either be illegal, as the bore would probably be over one and 3/4", or because of the short barrel length (under 24"). Even the Winchester blank firing cannon used by yacht clubs require a FAC, (short barrels).

Edited by bob300w

hi daz

well you need fac to use slugs in any shotgun and also if they are loaded into cartridges

but no license is required to own peices of lead

as any cartridge with less that 6 peices of shot to the ounce also requires fac

Edited by radio1ham

Quite a lot of **** in this thread so lets summarise:

--No licence is required to own lead slugs on their own

--A Firearms Certificate is required to posses and use lead slugs that are loaded into cartridges

--A shotgun cartridge is one that contains 5 or more pieces of shot, the diameter of which does not exceed .36 inch.

--A shotgun is a smooth-bore weapons with a barrel of at least 24" and having a bore with a diameter no greater than 2 inches.

--The 1 3/4" rule is the maximum bore that may be used to shoot birds.

Quite a lot of **** in this thread so lets summarise:

--No licence is required to own lead slugs on their own

--A Firearms Certificate is required to posses and use lead slugs that are loaded into cartridges

--A shotgun cartridge is one that contains 5 or more pieces of shot, the diameter of which does not exceed .36 inch.

--A shotgun is a smooth-bore weapons with a barrel of at least 24" and having a bore with a diameter no greater than 2 inches.

--The 1 3/4" rule is the maximum bore that may be used to shoot birds.

"Quite a lot of ****" steady eddy :lol:

Members post in good faith and some may be put off posting at all with comments like that Sam.

Im sure many will view it this way.

:good: D2D

I did realise when I put one and 3/4" bore that somebody would be pedantic enough to point out that this is the maximum permitted size under the protection of Birds acts, rather than the legal definition of a shotgun, therefore possessing a 2" punt gun that was illegal to use on birds would be rather pointless. As everything else that I put agrees with your statement, I can only assume that we are both talking "quite a lot of ****"? Chill out Sam, it's Monday for us as well.