Forgive me father, for I may be about to sin....

mr lee

For the past few weeks now, I have been having lustful thoughts towards a 4x4. I have sneakily been viewing videos on the internet of the dirty activities these 4x4's has been up to and ended up quite excited by the results. I have also been transferring money from our savings account into our normal account to go towards an impulsive purchase before my beloved missus has a chance to say no. :good:

Father, forgiveness is not what I ask of you but more a case of if you had the chance, would you buy a suzuki sj which is already fully prepped for off road fun or a bog standard landie which will need prepping? :beer:

Yours sinfully,

Mr lee.

Guys, I have been offered a suzuki sj which has a 1.6 engine, snorkel, re-routed exhaust, roll cage, winch and off road tyres, poly bushes and a 3" rise kit already fitted. I also have the opportunity to buy a bog standard defender 90 which is going to need some work for it to worthy of doing what I ask of it.

Which ever I buy will need to be able to be very competent off road, do some light farm work, leave as little an imprint on the land as poss, cheap on fuel and also cheap on parts whilst remaining as reliable as possible.

Most of this leads me to being highly tempted by the Sj.

I know there is a lot of landie lovers on here who will berate the suzuki and call me gay/hairdresser/ an Essex wannabe :no: and other such insults and I shall now pop on my body armour and tin hat in preparation for these hurled insults. ;) But seriously, are the suzukis a worthy decent lamping vehicle? Parts are a heck of a lot cheaper than for a landie too. :sly:

If you want something thats cheap to run and already done for you then buy the sj...Even though you will look like a hairdresser on steroids....

If you want a serious off road vehicle then buy the landrover, They are the best by pedigree.....Or am i biased cause i have a landrover......That also drinks fuel quicker than gazza and amy whitehouse drink beer on an all day session!!!

'Hairdresser on steroids..' :good:

My shooting mate looks more like Fester from the adams family. :sly:

The main concerns I have with a landie is the cost and constant repairs. I fully agree they do look far better and also have a lot more room for all our **** when out doing the different activities.

You dont say what the SJ is going for?

Common sense tells me it has to be the SJ but at the right price, they are rustbuckets but are lighter than a landy on the land, frugal with the juice and parts are still available.

I have never gone with common sense, had 2 SJ,s, a fourtrack, a shogun and every mark of landy they made, I just like landrovers and always will, they have their faults but imo there is nothing to compare, they are the real deal.

Whatever you do include the wife she might even outdrive you :beer: and enjoy having fun in the mud :good:

:sly: D2D

Well, I don't own either, but I have owned both. The landy will leave tyre ruts wherever it goes, the sj will sit on top of fields.

The sj will be cheaper on fuel and parts, and will do a grand job when it comes to lamping. I had one for 7 years, the only running costs were an exhaust, a battery and one side light bulb. Buy an air bag, the ones that use the exhaust to pump them up and you will be able to jack yourself out of any trouble easily.

The landy is too heavy, a lot of weight on the front end, we gave up using a landy for lamping, we spent more time digging it out than lamping. The sj, being a ton lighter, just scoots across the top of mucky stuff. Just ensure that you have chunky tyres fitted.

Have you not noticed the sj's leaving landy's at the starting post in the video's? Go for it, the most fun that you can have with your clothes on! :sly::good:

You dont say what the SJ is going for?

Common sense tells me it has to be the SJ but at the right price, they are rustbuckets but are lighter than a landy on the land, frugal with the juice and parts are still available.

I have never gone with common sense, had 2 SJ,s, a fourtrack, a shogun and every mark of landy they made, I just like landrovers and always will, they have their faults but imo there is nothing to compare, they are the real deal.

Whatever you do include the wife she might even outdrive you :no: and enjoy having fun in the mud :good:

:beer: D2D

Include the wife? Are you mad man? :sly:;)

The SJ is going for about £850 all in. The defender is £1550. Both similar year and overall condition. (both have scars from general use for the year)

The lighter on the land is one main issue. I don't want to make a mess of the farm where possible. The quad they use and tractor have both churned up the land a bit but all in the same runs which we intend on using and have been told we can anyway. I did look at fourtraks but wasn't sure just how handy they were as a competent off roader.

The fun element should come in when we go to the bike events we marshall. FULL use of all the quarry's and tracks. :lol:

Well, I don't own either, but I have owned both. The landy will leave tyre ruts wherever it goes, the sj will sit on top of fields.

The sj will be cheaper on fuel and parts, and will do a grand job when it comes to lamping. I had one for 7 years, the only running costs were an exhaust, a battery and one side light bulb. Buy an air bag, the ones that use the exhaust to pump them up and you will be able to jack yourself out of any trouble easily.

The landy is too heavy, a lot of weight on the front end, we gave up using a landy for lamping, we spent more time digging it out than lamping. The sj, being a ton lighter, just scoots across the top of mucky stuff. Just ensure that you have chunky tyres fitted.

Have you not noticed the sj's leaving landy's at the starting post in the video's? Go for it, the most fun that you can have with your clothes on! :no::good:

;):lol: I like what your saying Bob! :sly: Never thought about the airbags either. Nice one.

As for tyres, not a problem. Mate is a manager for ATS so all at cost and free fitting. :beer:

I really don't want to start having to dig out a landy either. :lol: Same as I don't want to dig out an sj.

" I like what your saying Bob! Never thought about the airbags either. Nice one.

As for tyres, not a problem. Mate is a manager for ATS so all at cost and free fitting.

I really don't want to start having to dig out a landy either. Same as I don't want to dig out an sj. "

There is a huge difference between digging out a landy and an sj. By the time you have dug a landy out, all you want to do is go home and lie down. An sj you can often push out of trouble, being a ton lighter. An air bag and a shovel and you are out in minutes. Air bags used to be sold by Halfords, around £100, no idea if they still are, not a lot when you think of the grief that they save you. Kick it under the motor, pump up, fill the ruts in, drop sj, and away, it really is that simple!

EDIT:

There you go £37.74 and free delivery!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-61432-Tonne...k/dp/B0001K9XR0

50 seconds to lift your motor 18 inches high while you watch. :good:

Edited by bob300w

Go SJ! Leaves you £700 spare for cartridges!
Your a bad man Bob but I like your thinking! :lol:

...Or money for a .17HMR... :sly::good:

Infact, now you mention the spare money, I may just tell the missus i'm off to get the landie, withdraw the full money and go get the SJ and the .17 and some carts and then live with the consequences later! ;):beer: Let's face it, if she gives me the silent treatment, it's a win win situation aint it! :no:

Edited by mr lee

" I like what your saying Bob! Never thought about the airbags either. Nice one.

As for tyres, not a problem. Mate is a manager for ATS so all at cost and free fitting.

I really don't want to start having to dig out a landy either. Same as I don't want to dig out an sj. "

There is a huge difference between digging out a landy and an sj. By the time you have dug a landy out, all you want to do is go home and lie down. An sj you can often push out of trouble, being a ton lighter. An air bag and a shovel and you are out in minutes. Air bags used to be sold by Halfords, around £100, no idea if they still are, not a lot when you think of the grief that they save you. Kick it under the motor, pump up, fill the ruts in, drop sj, and away, it really is that simple!

Hmmm.... I may scour a certain auction site for some now. :good:

How about a Diahatsu Fourtrak? A really tough vehicle, used by most self-respecting hill farmers.

Yep, had one of those also, well, a Sportrak, fantastic motors, I broke two rear springs, (on a ploughed field) but otherwise trouble-free. Much as I hate to say it, but for reliability you have to buy Japanese. Having said that, the sj was built in Spain, I believe that the Datsun was also, but not sure, definitly not in Japan. No idea where the Shogun was built, but I don't think that was Japan built either.