Can't hit the birds.

joeshaw08

i think its the over and under issue as my dad says first barrel goes over the second under there good for shooting clays as u only need one piece of lead to shatter the clay i only ever used side by side or a single dont mean to sound boastfull but wit the single i did not miss that often........ now the 28 bore thats a differnt story ...... last time i shot it for 10 shots one rabbit one pidgen and the pidgen well i had to walk 2 fields to fetch it so i dont think i got much lead in it .....

This just goes to reinforce what i said on another post a week ago. Shooting clays does not mean it will improve your live bird shooting. It works for some , but not others, indeed it can have a damaging effect on your live bird shooting. Better to try your hand at live birds first with a clear mind untainted by clay shooting and develope your shooting naturaly , if you are still having trouble then turn to pratice on clays. I know shooting clays ruins my shooting at live birds even now after 40 years experiance and 10s of thousands of clays and live birds being shot at , but having said that we are all different .

Im relatively new to pigeon shooting but have been doing clays for the past year, i found that doing rounds of Skeet at my local shooting ground helps hugely as there are all different sorts of angles. Judging lead comes naturally when you shoot Skeet as you dont have the time to "measure" lead. Try as you can to practise mounting your gun, maybe for 5-10mins every day even when your watching TV, mount onto people or animals on TV, or when i did it i used my dartboard, once you've done that for a week or two you should know that every time the gun is in your shoulder then its ready to go. Also practise smooth swinging by following the joins in walls and along the join of a wall to the ceiling (if you know what i mean :good: )

Hope that helps and good luck for future Pigeons! :welcomeani:

Mr T

Jo

I have shot woodpigeons over decoys for nearly 26 years and I was the same as yourself I missed alot for a start but keep at it and dont let it get you down.All the previous advice about hides etc is good advice and take it on board.I was out on Thursday last week shooting from a hide in a ditch and had to stretch over a barbed wire fence to shoot.This was putting me off big style until I made some alterations and I was back shooting them no bother.

All the best.

Hendo

• 3 weeks later...

I have only in the past few months started clay shooting, never heard the bum belly break bang! saying before but i see the logic in it.

On my first lessons at the clay ground, the instructor who is a collegue of mine, firstly got me comfortable with firing the gun, and raising it, then told me not to think to much about the shot, just raise point and squirt on instinct, i dont know how the hell it works but it does.

When i follow he told me another saying, which has stuck in my head and seems to work, "FOFF" Follow Overtake Front Fire, same principle as the bum belly break bang! but suppose derrived from clay shooting as opposed to birds.

If i do this in one motion it works pretty well so long as distance judge is fairly good.

For distance judging, this might sound daft, but me and a mate went to the gold driving range, you can see the 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 yard markers, i have always found this a good indication as i can picture it when taking shots.

"Ice;For distance judging, this might sound daft, but me and a mate went to the gold driving range, you can see the 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 yard markers, i have always found this a good indication as i can picture it when taking shots. "

Try putting a decoy pigeon up at 10,20,30,40,50 yards, it will give you a better idea than golf markers, just don't use an over-sized one!

As for those who maintain that shooting clays spoils your live shooting, there is no bad practice.

"Ice;For distance judging, this might sound daft, but me and a mate went to the gold driving range, you can see the 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 yard markers, i have always found this a good indication as i can picture it when taking shots. "

Try putting a decoy pigeon up at 10,20,30,40,50 yards, it will give you a better idea than golf markers, just don't use an over-sized one!

As for those who maintain that shooting clays spoils your live shooting, there is no bad practice.

Arrhhh, i see, you mean and judge the size difference at the different ranges, therefore in the field i can compare size with range?:good:

" :good: :good: reconn the golfers are going to think im crazy lol.....

Arrhhh, i see, you mean and judge the size difference at the different ranges, therefore in the field i can compare size with range?:stupid:

" :good: :good: reconn the golfers are going to think im crazy lol.....

:oops: Well....if you do it on the golf course, during a game, quite possibly! :good:

i have been shooting for about 2 months and iam 14 years old and have got into a shooting team at my local clay shooting club and the best way i found, was wait before they land and shoot straight at them but a little bit lower and then your confindece will be on a high and you will be dropping them at 45yards before you no it.

i have been shooting for about 2 months and iam 14 years old and have got into a shooting team at my local clay shooting club and the best way i found, was wait before they land and shoot straight at them but a little bit lower and then your confindece will be on a high and you will be dropping them at 45yards before you no it.

Aye but this kind of defy's the point for me, i know i can hit them just before they hit the ground, probably every time.

However a real bird in flight is what i want to get good at hitting, therefore i want to challenge myself as much as possible so that i can hit the fast moving far away shots.

:good: Hi joe. I had the same problem when i bought my new miroku o.u.See message (just bought new gun and cant hit ****** all.) Ive got 3/4 and full chokes my advice is stick with it and the b.b.b is the best way i found.Went out with the boy for 2 hrs yesterday eve and got 72. I tend to shoot when the birds are a bit further out which gives my pattern a chance to spread a bit more.

Stick with it cheaper than the pub but a lot more addictive. Good luck and happy shootin

Regards Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

concentrate on the birds head try not to look at the body. keep your head on the stock dont lift it off, dont track the birds for too long, try not to look at the barrel to much let your eyes do the work. hope this helps.

Martin

• 1 month later...
Heres two things that might help, firstly dont think about the shot too much , or you will end up aiming instead of naturally shooting and secondly don't move untill the last possible moment or the birds will not commit.

good advice and what i do is keep head down and eyes up to watch the bird come in

• 4 weeks later...

Don't use the number of wingbeats as a guide to speed. Its easy to fool yourself into thinking they arent going fast if they arent flapping hard.

If you pace out the ground to your deeks youll get a better idea of how big they look at 10, 20, 30 yards ans so on. On a clay ground you are often shooting at close range and may well be missing behind in the field. So time the swing and give more lead is probably the answer