Can't hit the birds.

joeshaw08

Im 18, and havnt been shooting for that long.

I go out pigeon shooting with my Dad, i own a semi-auto n he has an o/u. He's even newer to the sport than me!

We've done abit of clay shooting before, and have had a lesson with clays. I found that I was hitting the clays almost every time by the time the lesson had finished, and thought that id be alright at pigeon and crow shooting.

How wrong i was!

The last few times we've been out pigeon shooting, me and my dad have struggled to hit any birds at all. But when it comes to clays we're ok.

Does anyone else have this problem? Im not sure what im doing wrong, i dont know if im rushing or if im not giving the birds enough lead etc. But we really have missed some absolute sitters and its really frustrating going home empty handed.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers. :lol:

Don't forget the "shooting at their feet" suggestion, is only when they are standing, not when they are flying.

If you are reasonably competent on clays, then you should be able to judge the amount of lead that the pigeons are requiring.

It may just be a matter of practise and judging range.

If you are decoying, after you have set everything up, pace out 35 yards from your hide into the field in a few directions and put a stick in the ground (that you can see from the hide).

Any bird between you and the stick should be in range.

Hi, welcome to the sport.

I'm pretty new as well, so though I can't offer you years of experience, I can understand your frustration as I was exactly the same.

Don't forget the main difference with clays is that you know when it's coming and you get yourself ready both physically and mentally. With the pigeons you usually have a split moment to make a decision and pull the trigger. Clays also fly in a straight line, pigeons will turn on a sixpence.

My advise would be to just keep at it, and stay composed. My main problem when I first started was I would panick at the site of a bird. feretman knows his stuff and I'm sure he won't give you bad advice, my take on chokes and all the rest of the techy stuff would be to leave it alone for a while until you know your ability. If you keep messing about with the chokes before you know what you can and can't do you will not know whether it's the spread of the shot or just plain miss aim. Put a choke on there and leave it be for a while, take advice on which choke to use and don't change it until you are more confident in your own ability.

One thing I do know, when you down your first bird all the misses and slow days are forgotten, and that happens every time again and again.

Edited by Cosd

i am newish myself and had same problem could hit clays but not moveing birds drove me mad but advise i was given was the fllow throu follow the path the bird is flying from rear and th e way i do it is bbbb bum+belly+beak+bang it is working perfect for me shooting is a pleasure now stick at it it will come all of a sudden.goodluck :good::lol::lol:???

hello there, dont be too hard on yourself ive missed my fair share of sitters to in my time and ime shure i will miss plenty more, when you shoot clays do you shoot with the gun already mounted or do you move mount and shoot, if you shoot clays with the gun already mounted that could be your problem, when you see a pigeon come into the decoys and you pop up in the heat of the moment your mounting might be a bit off, other than that its like anything you will get better in time, just relax everyone misses well i do anyway.

cheers fenman......... :blink:

1 2 3 as it goes, keep following when you have pulled the trigger, i have taken people out who have been excellent on clays but left a gibbering wreck by pigeons that defy the laws of physics, get an experienced eye to look over your shoulder to see if its what you are doing.

Hi Joe, we all go through this from time to time so don't worry! I try to improve the shooting process by standardising my hide set up to allow plenty of room with a good background. If you get it right you will be able to stand up and take your shots smoothly and get into a rythm. If you crouch down in a tiny hide and then rush up and snatch your shots then you will never be consistent. After years of using conventional net hides I am now sold on the 5 pole roofed in designs that you will find in John Batleys book "The Pigeon Shooter" they just don't see you in these and they are very roomy. Try to arrange peep holes in the netting so that you can get a clear view of the birds and don't lose focus on them when you stand up.Good advice from others here on the forum, stick to 1/4 choke with 6-7 shot and you will have a good pattern out to 40yds. The markers at 35yds are a good idea, if you take your shots at normal decoying range of 25-35 yds then you can be confident that you have a lethal pattern with these chokes/shot sizes.

Straight Powder!

Im 18, and havnt been shooting for that long.

I go out pigeon shooting with my Dad, i own a semi-auto n he has an o/u. He's even newer to the sport than me!

We've done abit of clay shooting before, and have had a lesson with clays. I found that I was hitting the clays almost every time by the time the lesson had finished, and thought that id be alright at pigeon and crow shooting.

How wrong i was!

The last few times we've been out pigeon shooting, me and my dad have struggled to hit any birds at all. But when it comes to clays we're ok.

Does anyone else have this problem? Im not sure what im doing wrong, i dont know if im rushing or if im not giving the birds enough lead etc. But we really have missed some absolute sitters and its really frustrating going home empty handed.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers. :good:

Dont worry about it too much, clays are great to get you swinging and pulling through....pigeons are probaly the most difficult quarry.........i rekon i am a very tasty shot, i reguly shoot straights without the option on skeet.....set up last year on the end of a headland as the birds were coming in and gliding over the stubble infront of me at 25-30 yards...had 25 shots didnt hit a damn thing just for some reason couldnt connect...skulced off home didnt dare tell anyone !!

One of my biggest problems is when im pigeon shooting i keep on forgetting to put my cheek onto the stock.....dont have that problem with clays as it is repetertive and you get into a rythmn...but pigeons are differant thats why they are habitforming.

Just remember one thing if you pull the trigger behind a bird you will miss everytime if you shoot infront you have a chance....the rest is just experience

have fun

ditchman

i had the same problem as you,could hit clays all day long.But when it came to shooting birds could not hit them and when i did i was that frustrated i didn't know how much lead i'd given them.Now everyone was telling me i was missing them behind so i was giving them more and more lead,until a friend i shoot with (must of felt sorry for me or embaressed) took me on to his land with a trap and got me shooting at some clays.At fist he couldn't understand where i was aiming until he realised i was missing miles in front,so he took me back to basics now i wouldn't say i'm hitting everything but i'm hitting alot more than i miss.As for lead for about 30-40yds i'm either right on them or give them an inch or two,but we all see lead different so all i can say is start at aiming straight for them and swing through and if you miss add a little on next time.It's worked for me pegleg

i always seem to give pigeons a massively stuped amount of leadbut it works as in if the bird is 40 yards away i aim 7-9 birds in front of it and i normaly hit them but as for crows i cant hi them to save my life i give em loads of lead and miss alittel lead and i miss no lead and i miss :lol::lol: but what the hell i enjoy it all the same its not he bag that counts its the day out :good::good:

If you can shoot "maintained lead" then you should be able to work it out, if you can't remember the old game shooters saying "Bum, Belly, Beak, Bang".

Pull through it quickly saying that as you pull through the bird. I've heard it works, I either snap shoot or shoot maintained lead so I've no personal experience of this method :lol:

hi all,

I've been suffering from cross eye domination. I'm right handed, left eye dominant, so shoot left handed. :lol:

My right eye was taking over sometimes and therefore not over the rib of the barrel. I was missing loads of clays and couldn't hit pigeons for toffee. I've stuck one of those fibre optic things on the end of the barrel and thats done the trick. Even when I close my left eye over the barrel and then open it again, it is still the dominant one.

Well pleased as I was getting a little cheesed off. :lol:

Some good advice here. Also ,you will find that as the pigeons come into the decoys they will set their wings like a parachute, ready to pitch in as they do this aim directly under them and you will kill them every time. As others have said, make sure you have room to move and see but not so much as to let the birds see you-unlike a clay they will move in a instant if they see you. I always set my decoys in a horse shoe pattern, into the wind and the killing area is in the middle of the horse shoe.

Jo two things mate pm me you phone number as my phone has gone a knacker and wiped the memory the other is dont stop the gun when fireing, keep it moveing through the target, as soon as i have confurmed what permisions i have left after you know what and what crop i will start and take you out again

Good Man Winchester, yet again taking a newbie out for first hand experience. Good on you. :good::hmm:

Jo, Practise dry mounting your gun (Empty of course) when at home. Focus on the corner of a room and continually mount the gun until it comes up naturally into the shoulder with cheek attached to the stock. I may be wrong, but I believe that both you and your dad are doing what all newbies and even seasoned shooters do and that is mis mounting and shooting over the top each time. Either that or raising your head off the stock to get a better look.

All this is common and can be easily overcome with practise and experience.

All the best

SS :lol: