Pre-charged info i can't find anywhere.

glamour

Hi, i'm new to this fabulous forum which i luckily found about 1am this morning... Sadly i couldn't leave it to sleep till 4am so work today was rubbishhh.

I'm looking for some advice same as everyone really. I sold my hw97 a couple of years ago and never got round to getting another gun, i loved it as it was the first airgun i owned and the first i saw that wasnt a scrawny little thing. I've talked myself into getting another gun as one of my old school mates has family with a farm in nottingham which is lucky for me. I didnt like the idea of pre-charged rifles a while ago... mainly due to the tank situation but now i've looked past that, i didn't realise there was a difference in weight and sound (silly of me i know) so now i'm on the hunt and i'm an impatient boy. These are my questions...

1 )As with co2 pistols, which i understand from owning a crappy wather PP9.. you're not supposed to leave cartridges with co2 in while theyre being stored? I believe you're meant to use it all up so there's no pressure on the seals etc while not in use? Is this the same with pre-charged rifles, should you lose all pressure before storing? And if so do any models have a button or something to release all the remaining pressure, or is it a case of repeated low powered firing once your prefered pressure has dropped to farts power?

2 )Can you just add a bit of pressure everytime you feel like its lagging?

3 )Do any particular rifles have better valve/filling/gauge systems?

4 )I like the look of the less vintage looking rifles such as the loguns etc but i don't mind getting a more normal looking one.

5 )I know everyone has there own favourites but if you could put yourself into my shoes and suggest a good rifle for me? If everyone could recommend the top 3 or so i'd be very greatfull.

6 )I'd like a light one if possible, lighter than my hw97k anyway haha.

I like the compact shorter style.

Reliable parts.

Possibly black but not that important.

Reputable manufacturer.

I know it's a lot to ask but it'd be much appreciated.

I look forward to a reply,

many thanks, chris

Chris

1) No, you can leave PCP's charged with air, you don't need to empty them. In fact this would be a waste, as you normally top up when the power drops of the curve (with my rifles thats around 100 bar).

2) With most rifles you will know roughly how many "good" shots you will get per fill. If you let the pressure fall off you will notice a change on point of impact, so yes, you just top up whenever you want.

3) Most new rifles have a quick fill facility, I wouldn't say any one was better than another. However, some PCP's are regulated and some are not. Regulated rifles tend to have a a flatter power curve, if any at all.

4) Wasn't a question :good: , but don't buy a rifle on looks. You need to try some out ans see what "fits" you best.

5) I have a Air Arms S410 carbine and a Weihrauch HW100 carbine. Both very good rifle's and very effective hunting tools. Personally I also like the look of Daystates and some BSA's.

6) As I said above, you really need to try a few out. Plenty of manufactures make carbine models, so thats not a problem. Weight can be an issue, my HW100 weighs a fair bit more than the S410. However too light can be just as bad when you are shooting of hand. It probably helps if you buy a rifle that is manufactured in the UK (like Air Arms) as opposed to a foreign manufacturer (such as Weihrauch). The only reason for this is if it has to go back to the factory it will probably be quicker shipping to a UK address.

Hope it helps

Dan

First off remember you`ll need to have the funds for a charging kit as well as gun & scope. I use a Falcon Prairie pf 18 mp. Nice looking gun, handles very well, about 6 to 6:5 pnds in weight unscoped, never had a misfeed from a magasine, puts pellet on pellet. I could go on & on about it but you need to get your hands on a few first to see which suits you best.

I always leave mine charged with air & have never had any problems. There is only (I think) 2 black precharged pneumatics out there & BSA make both of them, most come with a wood stock.

Other guns a lot of people swear by are :- Air Arms s410 / 400

Daystate family of rifles

HW 100 & 100 K

Theoben Family of rifles

Like I said handle a few before you buy & if possible try some on a range.

Cheers lads, thanks for the quick replies... i'll go and have a look tomorrow.. There's a shop in mansfield, nottingham called the gun centre. Anyone ever been?

I hope they have quite a few models. Do any models have more magazine faults than others? Sorry for all the questions, i just want to build up a picture in my head before i go. I really don't want to end up with the wrong gun. Moneys not really the issue, i'd love a huge scope aswell. Are the nightvision scopes worth it? Also would an expensive one perform aswell in the day as say a decent hawke or similar brand would?

I'm dying to get a nice setup asap, i saw this picture earlier that made me drool... i hope it's ok to post this link?

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/5715/picture037du0.jpg

if anyone could identify the models of the guns and scopes i'd be even more greatfull.

cheers chaps, thanks again for helping a new lad.

chris

The bottom rifle is a Daystate Mk1. The one above is a HW100, the one above that is a BSA Ultra, and the top one I have no idea about, but it is an underlever springer (or gasram?) not a PCP.

Couldn't tell you about the scopes, although the one on the Ultra appears to be a nightvision rig. The ultra is quite a small rifle, so maybe somebodys ratting rig?

I like the look of the second one down, the ultra? I also think the super 10's are hot, are they nice guns?

What is the advantage of the really long scopes? does the length change anything? i'd like something really powerful and robust... the long ones look fantastic.

I like the look of the second one down, the ultra? I also think the super 10's are hot, are they nice guns?

What is the advantage of the really long scopes? does the length change anything? i'd like something really powerful and robust... the long ones look fantastic.

Dont getme started on the super 10 its by far the best air rifle ive ever out of all the rifles ive ever fired its the only one that does place pellets on top of each other but what ever you do DONT buy anything from the air gun centre they still have my money :good:;) after nearly a month of me canceling my order from them and the broke the law takein money of me for products they didnt even have :lol::good:

good luck

Edited by skb 557