Scope Alignment Issue

cubix

Looking at my BSA Lightning I can tell by eye that the scope is offset to the left by 4-5 mm.

The mounts are 'stretching' or reaching to hit both sides of the dovetail, and that's what causing it, think the mounts are too narrow - is there a hustle/quick fix I can apply here or is it just case of getting some bigger mounts ?

Cheers for any advice.

you could "shim" your scope rings or mounts? toothpaste tubes and even coke cans make excellent shims just cut out a small piece and your sorted.

be careful they can be sharp though. once mounted it should give you all the grip you need.

its quick and dirty but does work :lol:

pete

edit. sorry mis read your post. shimming probebly won't help aye. new rings needed methinks.

Edited by Melonfish

Looking at my BSA Lightning I can tell by eye that the scope is offset to the left by 4-5 mm.

The mounts are 'stretching' or reaching to hit both sides of the dovetail, and that's what causing it, think the mounts are too narrow - is there a hustle/quick fix I can apply here or is it just case of getting some bigger mounts ?

Cheers for any advice.

I would not worry about it, if you zero your gun for 50 yards, it simply means that the line of sight and bullet path are 4mm out of line at the scope, and meet at 50 yards, or to put it another way, it will shoot 4-5mm off-centre at 100 yards, or 2mm out at 25yds. Consider also your scope is probably 30mm or so above the barrel and bullet path, and this causes no problem. You are talking the width of a pellet only, at 100yds.

The only way to sort this is properly I'm afraid!

Find the right size mounts, shimming wont make up for being 4mm out also you'd risk distorting your scope.

You could zero in as it is but you'd be adding yet another dimension when you already have windage and elevation to consider!

Also as its a springer you may find the mounts move as their not seated correctly?

Second hand mounts turn up, you could always sell the ones you have so need not cost too much, or you could just keep these mounts as spares, you never know which rifle you may have next?

Thanks for the input - I actually fixed this half an hour ago!

The chap I bought it off had fixed the mounts back to front - I didn't think it wuld make a difference but now they are nice and central. All I can think of is that the mounts deliberately offset?