How to grow a hedge!

Whizzo

I was hoping some of you with more experience of the land than me could offer some tips.

Pals of mine have recently bought a small farm and along a dividing fence want to plant a hedge. They keep a horse in this field so want to use trees/bushes that will not harm him but that will grow quickly.

I'd appreciate any tips on plants to use. how to take cuttings, when to plant and anything else you could consider.

Thanks

Whizzo,

How nice to see a post that isn't in "text speak" and that is properly punctuated; you've made my day!

First a link that gives planting details and so on in clear language Hedgerow guide...Sedgemoor

Your chums should be able to get a grant if they are putting in a new hedge; apply to the local Council or ask the local NFU for guidance.

Regards

Eug

http://www.angliangardener.co.uk/Plants%20...urocerasus.html

You could use leylandii(conifer) which is not too bad as long as you keep on top of it and don't let it get out of hand .

The laurel will be easier to prune but not as strong a hedge as the conifer as long as you cut both with hedge cutters twice a year .

Leylandii get bad press but if you maintain them they can make good hedges I used to have to cut enough of them at the local golf course with nothing but secators and an old pair of hedge clippers .

Best to plant in winter while they are'nt growing but not in frosty conditions .

The main problem with conifers, espcially leylandi, is that they have shallow rooting systems.

This means that with a combination of wet ground and high winds, they have a nasty habit of falling over.

The other problem is that they look AWFUL. :lol:

Plant a BRITISH hedge, with some willows, hawthorn, blackthorn, beech, etc. :D

This is going round cultivated farmland, not some private housing estate.

The conifer hedges at the golf course were planted in clay soil so they become very waterlogged in the winter plus as it is a fairly new course it is around 250 acres of exposed land although not on a hill it did get very windy there .

Not to sure about the shallow rooting system as i have had the pleasure of having to dig them out before now , The main reason for them falling down is probably due to the height people leave them to get too as it is a large surface area for the wind to catch .

As you say cranfield the main problem is the look of them but they do establish quickly unlike beech ,hawthorn etc ,willows fairly fast but I suppose it will be preferance at the end of the day .

We did plant a few thousand fast growing trees there something like this http://www.bowhayestrees.co.uk/ and the speed they grow is incredible plus they came just like sticks about 5ft tall dead easy to plant .

Just having a healthy debate :D

Barrie

Ps Buy from a nursery wholesaler it will be a third of the price they normally say trade only but if you go there with cash you should be ok.

Many hedge plant suppliers will do a mixed hedge option.

These are very popular at the moment with people doing country stewardship programmes. They will need protection at first, but will produce an excellent british style hedge which can be laid in the traditional style in a few years time.

These will include quicks, dog rose, blackberry etc.

The main problem with conifers, espcially leylandi, is that they have shallow rooting systems.

The other problem is that they look AWFUL. :lol:

This means that with a combination of wet ground and high winds, they have a nasty habit of falling over.

not on your life................laylanii have one of the strongest rooting systems..........and make a strong hedge..........

there roots have been known to be a problem for houses (subsidence)

No disrespect cranfield but having spent a year in forestry/gamekeeping and 19 years as a groundsman including 2 years at college I have seen more wind damage/fallen deciduous trees than conifers in a variety of areas .

The consultant could also have been commenting on ground conditions there as well ie builders rubble under the ground etc . The amount of times I have had to plant trees etc off a landscape architects map nearby to buildings that will be unsuitable in the future is shocking . Infact the place where I work now has major problems with willows causing damage to buildings/water mains,drains etc all planed by landscape architects.

One house with severe structural problems was looked at by 2 consultants who said tree damage where there are only a couple of small cherry trees nearby , but the old lady who lives there says the house was built on the site of an old pond (I think i will go with the old lady on this one).

As stated before I have seen more deciduous trees fallen down by wind than conifers in the same area of ground than conifers even though they have no leaves and the conifer is in full bloom so to speak . As an observation most conifers are softwood so are more likely to move/bend easier than hardwood trees which just tend to crack/snap .

But if its just for a 6-9 ft hedge there should be no problem what ever you use after establishment as the height is small so the wind cant give to much leverage to the roots compared to a fully grown tree .you also have to remember nearby building ie. root structure (most roots underground grow as wide as the tree is in height .

Anyway as said just a healthy debate

Cheers :D

barrieO, I am just repeating "expert" advice I was given many years ago and it was a small part of what I posted on the subject.

Its no problem to me if other people have contrary opinions. :D

I still believe that a hedge in an agricultural enviroment should contain indigenous species from the area, not foreign invaders. :lol:

barrieO, I am just repeating "expert" advice I was given many years ago and it was a small part of what I posted on the subject.

Its no problem to me if other people have contrary opinions. :D

I still believe that a hedge in an agricultural enviroment should contain indigenous species from the area, not foreign invaders. :)

you hate it when some one disagrees with you

:lol: :thumbs: :)

A lively debate!

I have to agree with Cranfield but this will be an IRISH hedge! :lol:

Since I shoot on this bit of land I would like to see them put in a hedge row that would give cover etc for pheasants etc.

Thanks for the suggestions and links guys.