Does your kennel/dog run have a roof?

WGD

Pup arrives in just under two weeks :rolleyes: so I am getting a few things organised, this week's job is a kennel and run.

I don't need anything too fancy as the idea is she will be in the kennel/run for parts of the day then in the house at night. I have bought a timber kennel with internal wind partition and plenty of room for her and I will make the run, the whole lot is sited on a slabbed area next to my house.

I hadn't intended roofing over the run and I'm interested to hear what others do.

Thanks.

WGD

This is my dog run, I used 6ft high chain link fencing its 17ft in length X 6.5 ft in width.

The concrete has a drop of 1inch from the back to the front to allow the water to drain into the channel that's connected to the sewer at the back of the house. The kennel itself is 4ft in length X 3ft in width. To build the whole lot it cost me something in the region of €400.

I was going to roof it with some corrugated sheets that an uncle of mine is going to give me but I dont know if I'll bother.

I need to get some cow matting for the kennel for the dogs to sleep on.

The dogs live outside in the kennel all year round with no problems.

P6220125.jpg

Pup arrives in just under two weeks :rolleyes: so I am getting a few things organised, this week's job is a kennel and run.

I don't need anything too fancy as the idea is she will be in the kennel/run for parts of the day then in the house at night. I have bought a timber kennel with internal wind partition and plenty of room for her and I will make the run, the whole lot is sited on a slabbed area next to my house.

I hadn't intended roofing over the run and I'm interested to hear what others do.

Thanks.

WGD

Hi WGD, I built my kennels with a roof of clear HD perspex over the runs so that the light went through, I did this as much for my benefit as for the dogs, it was not much fun for them when we had day after day of rain and it was very unpleasant when the snow lay about for days and cleaning was difficult , they had a dry run to exercise in which was much better and they seemed happier. I would avoid, if possible, using slabs as the cracks attract dirt etc and even with hosing they never are really as clean as a concrete floor.

:lol: D2D

:drinks: Mines covered over by green bitumen sheets from Wickes there are great they have been up now for 10yrs & no wear look like new clear sheets wern't an option as the garden is south facing & it would be like a greenhouse for the dogs plus it kkep them bone dry well worth it :good:

Jaz has his run but nothing as nice as the picture there.

His is a nice big kennel. with a 8ft by 4ft x 4ft run in it.

He is only in there during the day when we are at work..

Its got a roof on the run. He can stand up and then go up on his back legs in it with ease. He doesnt foul his run at all normaly, but it has been created with a hinged lid if I need to go in.

Same as the kennel section for cleaning it out.

He seems to be happy enough when he goes to it each morning.

This is my dog run, I used 6ft high chain link fencing its 17ft in length X 6.5 ft in width.

The concrete has a drop of 1inch from the back to the front to allow the water to drain into the channel that's connected to the sewer at the back of the house. The kennel itself is 4ft in length X 3ft in width. To build the whole lot it cost me something in the region of €400.

I was going to roof it with some corrugated sheets that an uncle of mine is going to give me but I dont know if I'll bother.

I need to get some cow matting for the kennel for the dogs to sleep on.

The dogs live outside in the kennel all year round with no problems.

P6220125.jpg

Looking at the run again, 2ft high boarding around the bottom, but outside the wire to prevent pups chewing it, acts as a wind break, otherwise it can be a bit drafty. A raised sleeping bench just a foot off the ground is better than laying on damp concrete. A smallish pallet with a sheet of ply top is good.

I am at the design stage with my four block kennel and will be incorporating improvements learned since building my last one at the old house.

:) D2D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's what we ended up with. Partial roof (perspex but the area doesn't get sun for a lot of the day and the gate will provide shade).

D2D - some good tips there re draught exclusion. The slabs will have to do at the moment, i may screed over them in the future but the kennel/run is for daytime with exercise/training before and after work and the wife can let the dog out at lunchtime to the garden to do anything she needs.

I also now have something to put in the kennel... as you will see! :rolleyes:

WGD

post-10075-1208628871.jpg

post-10075-1208628907.jpg