Damaged Barrel Beretta 686E Help Please

nthor

Hi All,

I am new to this internet stuff, so sorry in advance if I have done this wrong.

Anyway I have a three year old 686E, just used it today, came home and gave it a clean as always and I have found a chunk of metel (small crater) missing half way up the inside of the top barrel.

Firstly how has this happend.

Secondly what can i do about it and what will the cost be?

thanks in advance for any help you can give

Nigel

Edited by nthor

Assuming you brought this brand new and filled and sent off the warranty papers when purchased, then isn't it covered by a 10 year guarantee. At the very least I would get it into a gun shop for a professional opinion, don't even think about firing again before you do.

Just occurred to me that it might be a faulty chroming process and therefore Beretta might carry this out free of charge.

All the best and let us know what the outcome is.

SS

Sounds like it must be a fault in the barrel as long as it has been used in accordance with its proofing

unless it has been dropped weakening the metal,

I would take it to a Berretta dealer for him to inspect with the possibility of getting the barrels replaced by Berretta as they should

be expected to last longer than three years.

3 year old 686e should have hard chromed barrels, sound like a descrition of a flake of chrome has delaminated itself from the bore, possible damage by hitting the outside of the barrel in that area, or contamination when chromed from factory, as above if you had this new the warrenty should cover it if not get it fixed, the barrel is now open to corrosion.

Martin

If you cant get Beretta to repair, you have several options. Get it smoothed out by a gunsmith or have the barrel fine bored. This would remove all imperfections, including the chrome lining, assuming your barrel walls are thick enough - should be. The only reservation with fine boring is the chrome lining. It is straightforward with ordinary barrels, but I am unsure on chrome.

http://www.stensby.co.uk/

£50 for one barrel

fine boring a barrel with chrome will be a nightmare Gordon, its not one of the easiest materials to machine, honing more so, i'd be a little dubious of that "gunsmith" smoothing out also, if the chrome is affected it may have propogated through a larger area, either way the thing needs expert attention, i would have Beretta take a look sooner rather than later

i'm still pondering how this happened, was the gun dropped? or dinged by another? is there any external damage visible??

any more info on the gun :yes:?? pictures inside and out would help

Martin

Hi All,

Thanks for the help so far, all I can say is there is no external damage damage to the gun at all an its in A1 condition.

Phoned the gunshop today and they will send it to beretta for them to have a look.

will let you know how things go

thanks