Gun Fit

Presh

Hi All,

I have been shooting now for about 8 months now - half of the time with a loan gun from a clay shoot and half with my own (unmodified off-the-shelf) gun. With all of the guns I have tolerated a badly bruised cheek but now it really needs sorting. Have had a couple of lessons and my eye dominance has been checked okay and am improving (now at 60-65 ex 100) but have had several people suggest that I need the gun fitted. I guess this is a pretty expensive experience but I am happy to spend the money in order to fix the issues. Does anyone know of or able to recommend a good gun-fit service within Gloucestershire or surrounding counties? Thanks for any advice / thoughts given

Presh

As a coach and gun fitter I get many people coming for a gun fit, when what they need is a lesson.

If you are not using good mount and technique, and don't have correct footwork, a lot of money on fit is likely to be a premature spend.

A fitter will put you in correct stance in the shop and take measurements. When you use the gun, will you mount it the same? Probably not. And, even if you do, unless your original gunfit is miles out, the improvement will not be dramatic.

I think the simple rule is that if you do not yet know how to assess gunfit yourself, don't get a gunfitted. Get coached.

Studies by the Institute of Clay Shooting Instructors ( ICSI) concluded that in a high % of all requests for gun fit, most of the problem lay with the shooters mount and shooting style. Although comb raising and butt extending are often done by coaches in these circumstances, the shooter should familiarise themselves with feeling a gun that does fit when used correctly, before spending money on alterations.

The vari-comb is an excellent suggestion, as it enables a coach to set the gun for you, and then you can ( wisely or unwisely) play with the settings afterwards.

I'd love to know who does it for £85-00!!

• 2 months later...

I would endorse Clayman's advise.You must have a consistent gun mount BEFORE spending money on getting your gun fitted, otherwise you will be WASTING your money.

Michael Rose lives in Chippenham, he is possibly one of the finest gunfitters, he was formerly head coach at West London SS and chief fitter for Purdey.Email me for contact details. If anyone requires instruction or gunfit, they would be advised to contact a member of The Guild of Shooting Instructors. www.shootinginstructors.co.uk

Edited by Salopian