Air rifles v FAC

rochey

Hi Chaps - I wonder can anyone tell me, what is the most powerful air rifle I could buy without the need for a FAC?

I would like to get one to shoot Crows and Pigeons so if any one could recommend something suitable that would be grand.

Cheers!

hi mate,

the legal limit is 12 lb/ft. most off the better made ones are around this limit but all are set slightly low for legal reasons. as for which rifle to buy, it depends wether you want a springer or pre charged rifle. both have advantages. if you have a springer be careful if you change the spring as this could take it over the legal limit.

taff.

If I was to make an educated guess i'd say The Air Guns and Shot Guns, etc. Act 1962. Which was incorporated into the Firearms Act1968. But oddly enough, I can't find mention of the 12ft/lb rule within the current Act either. :D I must be looking in the wrong place. :yes:

Sorry to change the topic, but i've always wondered, does anyone know how long the 12lb/ft rule has been in place? Are air rifles made/bought before a certain date possibley over that limit? Having been legal at the time :good:

If its over 12ft/lbs mate, its section 1 FAC - irrespective of when it was manufactured.

Some guns are indeed designed to run at FAC levels and de-tuned for the UK market - most Weihrauchs have a couple of coils lopped off the end of the spring to drop them under our limits.