Questio about new dog

My wife has finally decided to let us get a dog. My question is, i have not trained a dog before, let alone trained a gun dog. So should i consider getting a part trained or fully trained dog or get a new pup (this is my wifes choice as she thinks she will not get that special bond with a trained).

We have decided its to be a black lab bitch.

Edited by grumpy gouse

I had a fully trained lab bitch which I bought at three year old she was perfect

and very friendly we even renamed her. gundog stock are normally bred for temperament

etc and have to be good in company and friendly. :) but you might have

to pay a lot more. I have trained two dogs over the years and it does take a lot of time

and repeat training but is also a way of getting to know the dog better.

Loads of people buy fully trained gundogs but as said good 'uns are usually expensive. A non trial standard cocker, for example, at around 2yrs would set you back around £2000 from a professional trainer. Then there is the problem of the new handler requiring training as the dog wont know what's going on if the handler doesn't know how to direct and control it.

Part trained is often cheaper but is more suited to someone who can train and control a dog but doesn't have time to work with a pup.

If you've no real experience of dogs and decide to buy a trained dog make sure that the seller gives you a few sessions of training on handling the dog :sly:

My wife has finally decided to let us get a dog. My question is, i have not trained a dog before, let alone trained a gun dog. So should i consider getting a part trained or fully trained dog or get a new pup (this is my wifes choice as she thinks she will not get that special bond with a trained).

We have decided its to be a black lab bitch.

WHereabouts in the NE are you?

:sly:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. Just a quick update, we have put a deposit on a little gem of a black bitch, 8 months old and from a gamekeeper/ gun dog breeder. it will have the basics but will be up to me to bring her on. I must admit i feel a little aprehensive as this will be my first dog but really looking forward to her coming home start of july. I feel i will be able to ask questions and concerns on this forum as everyone has bee very helpful so far.

The first thing you need to do is book yourself some lessons with a trainer so he can train YOU how to handle the dog and give you a few do's and dont's, if you want to make a success of things and not ruin what has already been started with the dog. Talk to lots of other handlers who have trained their dogs and whose dogs you have seen work well. Also buy yourself a good book.

There is nothing to say that you will not be able to train this dog to a good standard but do make sure you have the right advice as it is VERY easy to mess it up!!!

Good luck and welcome to the world of dog training :hmm::good:

The first thing you need to do is book yourself some lessons with a trainer so he can train YOU how to handle the dog and give you a few do's and dont's, if you want to make a success of things and not ruin what has already been started with the dog. Talk to lots of other handlers who have trained their dogs and whose dogs you have seen work well. Also buy yourself a good book.

There is nothing to say that you will not be able to train this dog to a good standard but do make sure you have the right advice as it is VERY easy to mess it up!!!

Good luck and welcome to the world of dog training :good::good:

I agree 100% with the above post, get your self down to someone who teaches puppy obedience. The classes aren't so much for the dog as they are for you. You can read all the books in the world, watch all the DVDs but you can't beat some hands on training.

There are some great dog men on here so keep posting and let us know how your getting on. :hmm:

I took my pup to a local dog man for a lesson in obedience. It was very interesting but as he said himself, his way worked for him, and it may not work for me. I decided his routine didn't suit me or the dog. All I'm trying to say is you can ask five different trainers and you could well get five different answers. Make sure the method you learn suits you, your dog and your wife (if she is to be involved).

It is very hard work but worth it.

All the best

Jef