its looking good

jimdfish

I have just returned from seeing mr barleymore who has kindly given me permission to shoot on his land. While doing a recce, light was failing and the birds were coming in to roost I decided to sit still and have a look for foxes. I knew they were about as i could smell them and sat in wait. No sign of charlie but a couple of skeins of geese came over as well as a dozen or so ducks. Rabbits by the score could be seen across the fields and i was watching woodies and jackdaws/rooks whirling in flight. Walking back up the wooded path that runs round the perimeter of the farm the pheasants from the nearby estate were falling out of their roost. I did not see any foxes and as is always the case I did not have a gun. I have a feeling that i could do well.

He has also cut down the undergrowth down the first mile of the path which means i can get the rascal down there. It doesnt get any better than this

Jim

P.S Farmer says that he is having real trouble with corvids on his drilled. What is the best way of decoying these. Owl?

lucky man jim,sounds like a prime lump of land.i find that half a dozen crow decoys will pull in rooks and jackdaws easily,crows too but field craft has to be spot on.a rabbit belly up with a decoy next to it pulls them in and i have heard of people who have had good bags using a magnet with a crow on it.i will bow to crowstoppers superior knowledge on this though.

i hope you enjoy your new land.