dog box for pick up

scorchy

i have brought myself a nice shiny ford ranger with a back on it for dogs and gear :good: , i was just wondering if anyone has attempted at building there own dog transit box and storage boxes, like the custom ones ( ie LINTRAN and CABS etc)you can buy, but by building my own i hope will be alot cheaper.i need enough room for four dogs, i wouldnt bother with a box but i like take the dogs to work and on a warm day i would like to leave the back all open. i would like to hear some of your ideas and maybe see some of your photos of your master pieces, thanks scorchy

Edited by scorchy

I know this is slightly off topic but this is what I use for transporting my dogs, I find it a lot better than an internal box in the car, no smell and no scratches from dogs scrambling in and out.

However with a pick up would probably look stupid with a trailer attached :good:

01062008305.jpg

Edited by deeksofdoom

i personally don,t like the idea of carting dogs in trailers,a few of friends of mine used to use trailers but after a friend had a nasty accident with his trailer and his dogs they soon changed to pick ups and landrovers, and my mates dad used to have his dogs in a trailer and they kept fallen ill, he took them to the vet,he suggested that the fumes from the car could be the reason, anyway he changed to a isuzu rodeo pick up and the problem has gone away, he is convenced it is connected, i did think about small van and a trailer( cheaper to run) but as you can imagine i was soon put off,scorchy

lampa very smart, :rolleyes: thats the sort of thing i am looking to do, what sort of cost was it to do, and how did you go about the fibre glass,how easy is it to do, :hmm: i like the idea washable and light in weight, well impressed. scorchy

Edited by scorchy

post-9536-1212874428.jpg

Probably cost about £120 all in Mate, a light timber frame was made first and lined with thin ply, I then sealed all the timber then the fibreglass work begun, basically it was just sheets of fibreglass mat and resin placed over all the timber, when dried I then sprayed it white.

Beware though, the fibreglassing is a very time consuming job to get it right but worth it in the end, 100% waterproof and totally washable. The doors I migged up myself from 20mm box section and then had them powder coated black.

This also has a storage facility in the top with an opening lid, it has a built in gun cleaning kit, sunken vial for chokes etc and plenty of space for whatever else as per the piccy.

• 1 month later...