shell protest

roadkill

Radio 4 were talking about this when I got to work. Apparently the deal being offered was about 7% so not a huge amount of difference between the two and both well above inflation. But.... Apparently their pay and increases have been below inflation for the last 15 years and this is supposed to bring it in line with that.

Sounds like rubbish to me, but I don't know the whole score. I will say that 40k for driving a truck sounds like a good deal. Almost as good as driving a tube train down in London.

THATS RIGHT 7% THIS YEAR AND 6% NEXT ..... they was paid that 15 years ago when they were working for shell since then they have been taken over by a sub contracting company and they signed new terms and pay deals so they would of been on less i think but to me thats still a good salary and now they want 46 thats nearly double what im on and no way near what other jobs are on like the armed forces and the three emergency services are on

Can you tell me anyone's job which has risen in proper line with inflation???

40k for driving a truck is a joke, there is nothing special about it, dont need a degree, dont have to go to college, any stupid hillbilly could do it so what is the crack with them?

we have always been just under inflation and lets be honest that is a joke as they dont take into acount fuel , food , car tax and loads of other stuff so the poor just get poorer

And the labour government is supposed to be a government for the poorer people :good:

what a joke that is , they are all the same as long as they get loads of money and live nice from our taxs they dont really give a toss

In line with typical MP way's............................"Here Here" :good:

40k for driving a truck is a joke, there is nothing special about it, dont need a degree, dont have to go to college, any stupid hillbilly could do it so what is the crack with them?

Spoken like a true professional.

You have obviously never driven an articulated lorry, let alone one full of 1000's of litres of fairly flammable liquid.

40K is a realistic wage in this day and age, it is a shame companies don't wake up to the fact.

In a few months time Shell will announce absolutely sky high record profits. Why shouldn't they pay their workers so they too can have a decent life?

Spoken like a true professional.

You have obviously never driven an articulated lorry, let alone one full of 1000's of litres of fairly flammable liquid.

40K is a realistic wage in this day and age, it is a shame companies don't wake up to the fact.

In a few months time Shell will announce absolutely sky high record profits. Why shouldn't they pay their workers so they too can have a decent life?

rubbish , are you telling me that 36 grand and the new wage of 41 grand is not a good wage :good:

yes i agree it is a dangerous job but so is the army navy and raf and many more but they are not payed no way near that ...

36K and 41K is a good wage i will not argue that.

Or that service men and women are not paid that sort of money. But the British army will not announce record profits year after year and then pay their directors 6 figure bonuses.

Nurses also are worth lots more money than they are paid yet to pay each nurse 40K a year would mean YOU pay more tax.

Just where do you get off saying this?

do you drive a truck?.... i bet NO

why is it a joke earning 40k?......jealousy?

whats your job?

Mine involves working shifts involving a 48 week over 7 days 24 hours a day so unless you a shift worker? whilst your in your bed or having that "family" time at weekends others are grafting to shift the stuff around the country to keep you and yours supplied with the goods they have come to expect whenever they shop.

It doesnt get there on its own......99.9% of all goods in this country have been on a wagon at some point in their existance

Methinx you need to get a grip mate.....

stop ripping the p**** out of others....

oh and as for there being nothing special about it......there is is at least 1 trucker killed on our roads every week transporting YOUR stuff about the country!!!!

people like you make me puke :good:

shaun

Inflation is a bit of a farce to be honest. In the first place, when the government refers to inflation, it usually means CPI, which it has used to replace RPI. Ostensibly, this has benefits such as being more in tune with European measures, allowing more meaningful comparisons of inflation rates. In reality, it almost always gives a lower figure than RPI, making the toads at Westminster look better. The official inflation targets that the Bank of England have are in terms of CPI.

By way of comparison, latest CPI figures show inflation at 3%, whilst latest RPI gives a figure of 4.2%.

Even this is of little real use, as the rate of inflation that concerns you is your personal rate. For average punters, things like fuel, council tax, food, utilities (to name but a few) take up a significant portion of income. Ask yourself whether you think that these things have been rising at 3% (or even 4.2%) over the past few years.

One thing that has helped the West has been the fact that the developing world has been exporting deflation - goods and services that we depend on so heavily from countries like India and China have been falling in price. Hence you can get a shirt in Primark for £1 or a kettle in Tesco for less than a fiver.

This is changing, and these countries are beginning to experience real inflationary pressures of their own. This is set to be a big problem for us.

Robert