Hungarian Vizsla

tomtom

Don't know a lot about them but suspect that they may be of a similar nature to Weimeraners where the majority of UK dogs are of show breeding and have lost their working instincts.

I think that those which do still have some hunting instincts work in a different manner to what we in the UK are used to and as such they don't do well in trials. I would be inclined to say that GSPs and GWPs would make a much more feasible working dog if you seek something beyond the usual labs etc.

Even these breeds are best used for what they're good at and worked on open ground, grouse moors and the like.

Maybe worth a search for some working clubs if you're really into them. They could have more info on good lines etc.

I have worked several over the years. A very calm dog that covers the field in a methodical pattern and works to hunt with you. Calmer than a GSP or GWP, as has been said along the lines of a GOOD working Wiem.

Have a look at some working to see if you like them, and if you are going to buy a pup be sure to see the damn and the sire work the field. This is one of the reasons it is best to look before the pups are on the ground, if the breeder is using an outside sire you can meet them when the dog is there to see him work, and the damn will be fit and working aswell.

NTTF

• 4 months later...

I have a young Vizsla and have seen them at trials, as well as magnificent looking animals the Hunter Pointer Retreiver element appealed to me.

I am keen to get together with others training a Vizsla under the gun, or would really apprecciate any advice on how to get this started.

Cheers