To apply for SGC or not to apply?

mr_colt

Hello all,

First, please let me apologise for the awful post title :), it does however sum up my question of late:

I am debating over as to whether to apply for a Shotgun Certificate or not. Some of you on here may remember the problems I had last time with Staffordshire Police. I now live in West Mercia area, and heard that the initial-application wait can be over six months :oops: . My primary interest is in sporting clay shooting, something I am only able to do occasionally at the moment due to some specific problems with suitable gun availability and cost. My shoulders and neck mean that I have to use a 12b semi-auto due to the recoil, as I don't really want to be stuck with a 20b. The cost of shooting with instruction (for a non-cert holder) round here works out about £60 a lesson! Therefore I wait until I can go to grounds in wales to have a block of lessons at a much cheaper price. Hence why if I want to do clay shooting more than once every few months; I really need my own SGC.

I didn't have a supportive GP the last time round (positively an anti.) He wouldn't elaborate on my physical health problems not causing any symptoms that would make me unsafe to handle a shotgun (despite the fact I hold an unrestricted prov-licence from the DVLA) and the same with the medications I was on. This led to the FEO's using an internet print-off from an illegal online-pharmacy as medical guidance as I am on opioids for pain relief (They also were looking at the wrong opioid.) They then decided that the listed side-effect of drowsiness, meant that taking opioids was the same in effect as alcohol (complete rubbish) and that in the absence of medical comment from my GP that it was somehow my responsibility to prove otherwise.

I had also had a minor bout of depression (due to family probs which were resolved) a number of years ago, despite not having any such problems since and written opinion from a consultant psychiatrist that it was highly unlikely that I would have a re-occourance of such problems in the future. Yet because the GP would not provide any comment on such matters; they declined my application anyway. I was advised by the FEO's and the BASC that the best thing to do; would be to apply again in 9-12 months or so with a more supportive GP.

I now have such a GP, whom I am sure will quite happily state that I am certainly not (or have been) depressed or anything like that. Also that my health/disabilities should not normally render me unsafe to shoot unless I was feeling unwell (in which case I would not be out shooting anyway.) .

So do you think I should apply now or not, especially given the delay could take another 6+ months? I just don't want to be turned down a second time, I don't think waiting any longer will essentially increase my chances on top of the existing wait, and my GP has already provided some very supportive reports for other things on request and seems to know me quite well in a professional capacity. Unfortunately; I would need to know her for another year and a half in order to be able to have her countersign it herself (They actually do offer it as a service at my docs :hmm: .) That also may cause a problem if she were asked to provide an impartial report to the Police anyway, so I am using someone else to potentially act as countersignatory.

Obviously BASC guidance will be sought if I do go ahead, so what do you all think? Should I apply or not?

Many Thanks,

mr_colt.

Edited by mr_colt

Do West Mercia really take so long? It's a disgrace if so. I say go for it, what have you got to loose? You've got a good reason to posses shotguns, you seem confident your present GP will not blackguard you, be confident. If they are going to give you grief, then the sooner you know about it the sooner you can take advice on how to contest the decision.

I would reapply, now you know how to explain the previous problems and

you can get help from BASC, I know a guy taking amitriptyline and he

qualified second time round after the first refusal,youll have to state you

were refused though,as for the cost of your clay shooting get to know

someone that shoots clays and you can use thier gun at any police approved

club without a licence if theyre with you,or a friend can buy a gun and keep

it for you to shoot at the club as long as he goes with you at a third of the cost

of lessons.

Thanks for the responses,

I've looked at it, I have some other matters going on at the moment that are taking up a lot of my time, so I will probably look at it in the Autumn. It also means I will have been resident at the same address and consequently with the GP for over 6 months on application. Quite likely a year by the time it gets reviewed :lol: .

I should also categorically state: I have never been "clinically" depressed, nor had any mental health problem apart from that brief mild period when I was 16 during family problems. I am not on any medication that could be considered "anti-depressant" or anything like that. Just opioids for pain-relief and some sleeping tablets for insomnia. I'm sure many elderly shooters with similar health problems hold SGC's and shoot quite safely. I don't get much "effect" form the pain-killers or sleeping tablets, let alone concerning side effects. :lol:

My uncle does hold a SGC and FAC; athlough I don't think he owns any actual shotguns anymore. I think he just uses the ticket for smooth-bore muzzleloaders. Gunhire and a round of clays is dwarfed by the instructors fee round here. I could shoot 50 birds with carts and gunhire for a little over £25 at Minsterley (private practice.)

Presuming I am already safety-competent with a shotgun from having several lesson blocks up in Wales; would it be legal and permissible for me to shoot with a hired gun under a SGC holder's supervision?

Many Thanks,

mr_colt.

Edited by mr_colt