5mm remington magnum

just looking through guns and ammo and noticed that cz are starting producing the 452 in this calibre 5mm rm .said to produce 2100fps with a 38 gr bullet ,by the way its rimfire.anybody seen one over here yet.

That's surprising, Edgar Brothers, the CZ importers do not list it as available, and Remington discontinued making the ammunition several years back. The 5mm Rem. magnum came out in 1969-70 but never caught on, it's regarded as an obsolete calibre.

http://www.edgar-brothers.co.uk/ORIGINAL_S...rifles_452.html

5mm Remington Magnum: Revival or Resurrection?

5mm Remington Magnum ammunition is back in production. There are also new handguns and long guns for this cartridge.

I have to admit that when I got news on the floor of the NRA Show that there was new-production 5mm Remington Magnum ammunition being offered, I wasn't exactly overwhelmed with interest. As the rest of the story unfolded, however, my curiosity got the better of me.

The 5mm Remington Magnum is a rimfire cartridge announced in 1969, introduced in 1970, and chambered in Remington's Models 591 and 592 rifles. The original load used a 38-grain .2045-inch bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2,100 fps. Though T/C later offered Contender barrels for the 5mm, the cartridge never caught on.

Now that the .17 HMR has generated more interest in high-performance rimfire rounds though, there may be a new chance for the 5mm Remington Magnum. The enhanced load is being made by Aguila and sold under the Centurion name. It offers a new 30-grain jacketed hollow-point bullet at 2,300 fps.

If those ballistic claims hold true once we get some test ammunition, then the new 5mm Remington Magnum looks like it will have a ballistic edge over both the .17 HMR and .22 Magnum. A box of 50 rounds will reportedly retail in the $17-$20 range, so don't expect the 5mm to give the .22 Long Rifle a run for its money in terms of popularity. But for those wanting something different--and powerful--in a rimfire will want to give this number a look.

Taurus is introducing a 5mm Remington Magnum version in its popular "Tracker" line of revolvers.

The new ammunition won't be just for those with an old Remington or T/C barrel, though. What got my interest is that both Taurus and CZ are chambering new guns for the 5mm.

Taurus has a new 9-shot Model 590 in both blued and stainless steel. The new guns sport 6 ½-inch barrels and adjustable sights. Currently, Taurus is estimating the guns will begin arriving sometime this summer.

CZ's offering is in its positively classic-looking Model 452 American. Shooters familiar with CZ's "American"-style rifles recognize them as the ones where CZ chucked those European features such as hog's back stock combs for American-style features, and my fellow Americans--we responded.

Keep your eye on our site for detailed shooting reviews of these guns as they become available, or check out the print version of Guns & Ammo magazine on a newsstand near you.

report in guns and ammo

It all sounds like media hype to me quite honestly, creating an article from a few vague facts. G&A could not even obtain ammunition or a gun to do a test, and who is going to make a gun until there is ammunition available, or a market for it?

I was on the phone to Edgar's earlier about another matter and it's news to them also. Realistically, what is this round going to do that is not already covered by the 22WMR? which, incidentally, is available in the CZ542.

Heard about this round coming back a good while ago....in America it had a bit of a cult following, a round away ahead of it's time in them days, but it didn't catch on, some still have there 591's & 592's stuck in the gun cabinets.

With CZ going to chamber this cartridge I think it will catch on, ammo will be a bit scarce, same as the HMR 17 was, but that will soon change, might be a few HMR 17's going cheap as well...!

BJ.

Edited by Bazooka Joe

Interesting link on .5mm

"The 5mm Rimfire offered more energy down range than the .22 WMR or the later .17 HMR (217 ft. lbs. for the 5mm vs. 170 ft. lbs. for the .22 WMR and 136 ft. lbs. for the .17 HMR at 100 yards). Its smaller diameter bullet was superior in ballistic coefficient and sectional density to the 40 grain .22 WMR bullet and that, plus its increased velocity, gave it a flatter trajectory and about a 25 yard advantage in effective range over the .22 Mag. During its brief life the 5mm Magnum developed a reputation as an effective and deadly varmint cartridge."

Well, I just bought my 3rd 17HMR this very afternoon so I wont be too worried. I wanted the HMR ...............SPECIFICALLY FOR................ its low energy with relatively good ballistics up to 170 yards or so, if I want more oomph, I will use my 22BR.

There is no such thing as a free lunch with calibres and ballistics and It amazes me how manufacturers and shooters seem to endlessley try to fill every conceivable gap in bore size and muzzle energy. Everyone will want a 5mm and then we will all NEED a 5.25mm to fill the gap between it and a regular .22. lol

:lol::lol:

Exactly, it's all down to marketing and profits. For just about every wildcat that is developed in the USA there is a round that will do exactly the same already. The 5mm will not even catch on over here, it will do nothing that cannot be done already by the 17hmr or the 22WMR, and that is assuming that somebody will make a rifle to use it in.

• 4 months later...

I am very happy that the 5mm is starting to be ressurected. The 5mm was not a wildcat round as noted. It was developed by and mass produced by a commercial manufacturer. With more than 50,000 remington 591/592's produced and I think over 10,000 contender barrels sold in 4 years of production. This round has ballistics over the 17hmr and the 22mag, and this is comparing the old 5mm ammunition ballistics to the newest 17hmr and 22mag ballistics. Its going to be interesting what ballistic engineers come up with new and improved 5mm rounds. IF it takes off.

There are lots of rumours as to why the production of ammunition stopped 10 years after its introduction. One even sites how a fire in the production plant coincides with the last production run. I think obsolete is a poor description of this round. Most likely it was a just way ahead of its time, like by 30 years. And now that production techniques have caught up to the expectations of this round. The chamber pressures are twice that of the 22mag and 17hmr.

This round will have a niche for sure. FYI, in the U.S. some hunting regulations restrict the type of rifle you may use, and the regulations do not always make sense ballistically. A centerfire may be illegal, but a rimfire or fully rifled shotgun may be legal. This will be an accurate medium game (60 lb bobcat or coyote) short range (less than 170 yards) restricted area rifle. And if you do night hunting(not poaching but predator), no 2 am loud report to wake up the neighborhood. Of course this would be severe overkill on pigeons. And unlike the 17hmr, the bullet will not fragment; but retain and expand in a mass of significance size.

I hope nobody thinks I am taking aim at the 17hmr or 17hmr2, these are great marvels. In fact, I like them more, since their success has helped revive the 5mm. I do not own one, merely because I have no hunting use or need.

I think most people characterized the 70's barrels as rough, and yet they were still tack drivers. I am looking forward to a CZ modern manufactured barrel or other manufacturer, and yet the nostalgia of the old 591m.

Another FYI note, one distributer/repackager told Aguila when they did start production; that they would take their first 2,000,000 rounds. I'd say more than a cult following by the numbers of guns already produced. But in terms of what some would pay for a box the old ammuntion ($75.00 a box), definitely a fanatical cult following. We will see if the 5mm takes off when a major centerfire manufacture markets a 5mm rimfire rifle.

and as usual just my two cents worth, or should i say two pence worth here?

I absolutely ******* hate the 17hmr, I have had 3 and they have all been limited by the inconsistencies of the cartridge itself. I am now going to keep the one I have purely to prevent me buying another.

BUT

At least the 17HMR offered something new and different and as much as I hate them, they are found very usefull by a lot of people as lets face it, it is probably THE most suitable cartridge for most of our UK rabbit control and I chose to have one PURELY for its low energy and limited ballistics and MAINLY its lesser noise of my then and current 22 centrefires.

I dont like the 17HMR personally, but its a good useful round and I stand by my previous comment, the 5mm is just another way to skin a cat. Buy one if you fancy it but I just dont see it offering anything not currently available???

Im toying with the idea of a 17 centrefire. It will probably be ****, but what the hell, at least I have control over the cartridge.

17 Rem fireball anyone in 6 months time? :good:

Like I said, we all purchase what we have a use for. the 17hmr is a great rabbit gun or small varmint for a lot of situations. Even if the bullet fragments in a freezing day, it'll dispatch a rabbit. A 5mm will also dispatch a rabbit, but with way too much hide and meat damage. Nobody's single opinion really carries much weight as a generality. Mine included. In fact the 17 Rem is a great little gun for coyotes in close range, but not legal in some situations. And I agree with you as towards "Uk rabbit control" - want something cheap to fire, accurate, and completely dispatch the animal without any concern for its meat or hide. The 17hmr handles that very well. But a more expensive centerfire rifle and ammunition for a 5 pound hare would be over killl. So we are in agreement, you have a 17hmr for your needs and uses, which are different than mine; thus i do not have or need a 17hrm. I will get a 5mm because it will meet my requirements and because there is nothing else out there that is available and legal. Additionally, I want an affective kill zone within 200 yards, not 400 yards; like a lot 22-250. And if you compare the 5mm to the 22-250 or any centerfire, the ballistics are completely different. That is why manufacturers make so many combinations, not that everybody will buy one, but so everybody with a general or limited need can choose one. or two, cause some of us just like to shoot.

Does anybody know where to buy this ammo ?

here's one place in the usa http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProd...g=653***7547***

it lists it as available and not back ordered as well

OOps kind of forgot this was an international site........midwayusa may not ship international orders from this site, but good news is that they do have several international partners with various website form which to order. if you click midwayusa's home page and click on shipping you'll get a listing for their international locations. or just click here http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/staticp...=homepage103008

and it'll take you to their website.

Edited by azbycx

thanks and one more question, where do you normally buy Aguila ammo ?

It depends. Usually depends who has it and price. I am kind of lucky. MidwayUSA thru mail. I have a Cabela's 30 minutes away, I have a Dicksportingood and Walmarts all 15 minutes away. and I have a local superoutfitter bigger than Cabelas a half mile away. It all depends if its immediate need or large quantity purchase. But with all ammunition, I always buy small quantity at first time to see how my weapon likes and shoots with it. The last time I purchased it, the super outfitter's price was only 10 cents more expensive per box before shipping and handling.

York guns are the suppliers of Aguilla in the UK I think. Lets hope It's supply is more constant than 17HMR.

Are you fron the US AZBYCX?

Yes I am in the US. but if in the UK try www.midwayUK.com that would be their international partner for the UK.

I just checked the UK site and no 5mm was listed there. I am guessing that few of the 60,000 rifles or barrels ever made it out of the US. But maybe if you call MidwayUK customer service, they can drop ship it to the UK.

Edited by azbycx