FIRST TIMER - WHICH SHOTGUN FOR CLAYS??

essex stu

Hi All

I have had a couple of lessons now and really enjoy clay shooting and want to join a club and get my own gun. I tried a semi auto for the first time and actually preferred it to the over and under as it was lighter and had less recoil. I am happy to buy a used gun to get a better quality one than buying a cheaper brand new one. My budget will be around £300-400. Any hints a tips? Which make and model do you recommend? What do I need to consider? Have read adverts referring to choke and barrel length so what should I be looking for to go clay shooting? I wont be going game shooting.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Anything I should read up on? Do they do a clay shooting for dummies guide?

I have shot clays for many years with a o/u & made the switch to a Beretta AL391 auto last Feb should have done it a long time ago, I can shoot it all day as no recoil hence my scores have creeped up :lol: , easy to swing etc, have a look on www.guntrader.co.uk I would go for a 28" Beretta AL391 sporting

Edited by blackbird

cheers guys, so a semi auto is a good choice then. Any particular choke or barrel length or do I try to get one with multi choke?

the AL391 all seem to be over my budget. Is the A303 or A301 a good gun?

Edited by essex stu

If you go for a semi auto go for a 28" or a 30" if you go for a o/u :good: as for chokes most autos are multi chokes but don't go tighter than 1/4 & 1/2 with a o/u unless you shoot trap that is, i have 1/4 in my auto and it kills every bird on a sporting shoot. but not every time :lol:

Edited by blackbird