Ticks

I was out and about with the pack earlier this evening for a mooch which went rather well :good:

After getting home I feed and watered the dogs and gave them a check over for cuts etc and found 9 ticks. 6 were on the Cocker and 3 on the lab but none on the lurchers. I removed them and dabbed tea tree oil on the entries.

I don't know how your curs are all doing but this is becoming a daily occurence for me and it's ******* me right off :good:

It must be the worse year on record and I would guess it's down to the weather conditions?

LB

Frontline spot-on applied monthly LB, the ground my dogs work on is tick infested but they don't take. I think I'm right in saying that Frontline claim it is effective for up to 3 months but after a month the effectiveness does seem to wear off.

You have to make sure and apply it properly though, it is to be applied to the skin at the back of the neck (to avoid them licking it off) and the trick, especially with your cocker, is ensuring you do reach the skin rather than doing as I did with my springer a couple of months back and thinking "oh stuff it, that'll do", most of it landed on her coat and she picked up a few ticks that month. You've also to keep them from swimming for 48 hours after application.

WGD

one better than frontline is Stronghold but it prescription only. Again it is a spot on but as ever the ticks have to attach and feed before they get a dose and die. The only other thing you can try is avoiding areas of long grass and ones with either sheep or deer frequenting. If thats not possible then you just have to carry on doing what you're doing

I've always used the flea collars, Bob Martins, I believe they are, and my cocker has never had a tick or flea, and she is now 11+ years old. She wears one 12 months of the year, only taken off when working or beating.

I had a Springer previously, used Frontline on her and she continually picked up ticks, whether it works better on some dogs than others is anybodies guess. I would suggest that you try them all untill you find one that does work.

Iv never found a tick to date and lived with dogs all my life. Doberman`s up untill 13weeks ago and Bryn our Cairn for 10 months and he`s never had one either. The dobemans never had anything and never picked anything up and bryn is on frontline spot on and has never picked anything up. He gets his latest spot on tomorrow :good:

I like tick collars too. They work fine and keep the coat in tip-top condition. I've got some Frontline in the cupboard though, I might use it if things get really bad with the ticks.

Yes, I have noticed that they improve the coat, no idea how or why though. Also they are cheaper than other methods, around £3.50, and they last three months.

try this i think they are still doing it :oops:

"BADA-UK is hoping to co-ordinate field-trials throughout the UK of 'Billy No Mates' (BNM), a non-chemical based flea, mite and tick repellent for use with dogs. We would like to invite interested dog owners, from heavily tick- populated areas, to contact us with their details.

A free three month supply of product will be provided, and in return, your observations on the effectiveness of BNM, in either reducing, or preventing, tick attachment is all that we ask. BNM contains only natural ingredients.

If you are interested in assisting BADA-UK in trialing 'Billy No Mates', please send your contact details (postal address and phone number) to: email@bada-uk.org, along with a brief description of the number of dogs you have, their breed, and the type of terrain they are regularly exercised / worked in."