semi auto stocks

rogo

rogo, I think most new semi's come with 2 butt pads anyway now.

On my 391 synthetic, I fitted the thinner of the 2 and it is just right for me at just over 14",

When my mate got his new Benelli he had to have the stock shortened as it was still too long with the thin pad fitted.

Most new semi-auto's have different thickness spacers to fit between the action and the stock for easy gun shortening/lengthening.

The variable shims between the stock and the action on the 391 are angled and are for altering the cast and drop of the stock.

By completely reversing them the gun can be adapted for a right or left handed shooter.

They do little or nothing to alter the length though as this is done at the butt pad end.

I bought a Benelli 90 Macino semi auto and it only comes with the factory fitted butt plate. They do sell another thicker one but it is a special order and expensive. I found my stock was too short and needed to lengthen it. The easiest and cheapest way is to but a spurious butt plate of the thickness you require. One with a ventilated strip used by clay shooters add a lot and was ideal for me. These will not fit exactly over the end of your stock, usually slightly too big, but it is a simple matter to sand down to the correct shape and size if you know the technque. I can explain this in detail , if required.

Though not on a semi I bought some vulcanite spacers from www.euroguns.co.uk , supposed to be the same weight and density of wood .I originally bought a 8 mm one and fitted it but still found it too short so bought another in 4mm size .

Easy to fit , as they are oversize take off the recoil pad roughly mark the 2 screw holes ,drill out the holes ,screw spacer onto stock between stock and pad , used 1 layer of masking tape on stock+pad ,then I used a metal file and then wet+dry paper to finish off . Took about 3hrs (but was quoted around £100 from a gunsmith to supply and fit suitable length recoil pad ) cost me about £14 in the end but would have cost about £8 if I would have bought a 12mm spacer in the first instance , and having seen a gun that has had a pad fitted by a gunsmith that cost £120 , I did'nt do a bad job for a first go .

Fits very well now . :P