Information on guns by Davis and Nicko

anser2

Can anyone help me with the value of two guns. I have the chance of an English side by side made by Daves ( apparently he used to work for Evans and sons ) 2 1\3 inch boxlock with 28 inch barrels. Also there is Nicko 2 3\4 inch over and under. Both guns are on the short side in the stock and will need restocking to fit me. The guns are in very good condition and come along with a gun safe. The seller is asking £375 for the lot.

Bargain or not

Can anyone help me with the value of two guns. I have the chance of an English side by side made by Daves ( apparently he used to work for Evans and sons ) 2 1\3 inch boxlock with 28 inch barrels. Also there is Nicko 2 3\4 inch over and under. Both guns are on the short side in the stock and will need restocking to fit me. The guns are in very good condition and come along with a gun safe. The seller is asking £375 for the lot.

Bargain or not

Obviously, it is impossible to value a gun without seeing it, and the detail that you supplied is sparse, to say the least. I assume that the Nikko is an ejector and the Daves is not? There are no gunmakers listed as Daves, check the name again.

Also 2 1/3 inch chambers are unheard of, check that also.

Nikko were imported here from Japan 25 plus years ago, the 'Shadow' was one model and the 'Indy' was another. They were good quality guns, and there are still several in use today.

If the Nikko is in good nick you have your money's worth with that alone. Check that the firing pins are not chipped, although they are easily replaced, and that the fore-end wood is not cracked.

Edited by bob300w

Bob , sorry about the thin info on the guns and the chamber is 2 3\4 not 2\13. slip of the keys. The guns are in very good condition and only had one owner. At the moment I am looking for a new game gun as my AYA is getting well past its sell by date.

The English S\S = Steel barrels , ejector , barrels\ action face tight all the side plates covered in scroll leaf engravings ( no game pictures but Davis printed on a ribbon engraving ). I think its original with no work done on it. The gun was bought new 30 years ago. I am looking for a new game gun as my AYA is getting well past its sell by date. The stock of the Davis is about 2 inches too short for me and at the time I dissmissed the gun so I did not check things like the screw heads and as its 50 miles away so its not easy to go and check again.

However after sleeping on it I thought it would be worth reconsidering , as you say the stocks can be changed. As for the Niko O\U I tried an o\u for a season back in the 1870s ( Lincon ) and found I could hit a thing with it ( despite it being fitted and taking shooting lessons ) so again I dissmissed it. But perhaps its time I tried one again and at £375 the pair it seemed quite cheap. I just want to find a little more about the guns before getting them

DAVIS! Now we are getting somewhere, well not really, there are three Davis's listed in B/ham, 1 in Ludlow, 1 in Wednesbury, 1 in Newbury and 1 in Glamorgan. is there no initial, or address on the rib? As I said, the Nikko alone is worth that money if it's in as good a condition as you say, the cabinet must be worth £75, it sounds like a good deal. If the Davis is an ejector, it's an exceptional deal.