Just harvested...

joeshaw08

One of the permissions i shoot is being harvested AS I SPEAK! (Wheat)

Never sot this time of the year before, and im guessing the pigeons will be around in there hundreds.

When is the best time to go down there, and how long will the pigeons be around for??

Sorry to be a newbie about this, and it may be one of those ''how long is a piece of string'' subjects.

Any comments welcome!

A mouthful of coke has just me the keyboard :yp: :lol:

One of the permissions i shoot is being harvested AS I SPEAK! (Wheat)

Never sot this time of the year before, and im guessing the pigeons will be around in there hundreds.

When is the best time to go down there, and how long will the pigeons be around for??

Sorry to be a newbie about this, and it may be one of those ''how long is a piece of string'' subjects.

Any comments welcome!

No wish to dampen your bonfire, but wheat/barley/rape is being harvested nation-wide at the moment, this means that there is food in abundance for pigeons. I would check that pigeons are using your fields before you get too excited, and don't be surprised if they simply move onto another farm after two shots. It can be a time of big bags, and also big disappointments. Guessing does not work with pigeon shooting, you have to observe the birds, and pick your time to go.

Edited by bob300w

The main problem in this part of the world is that the fields are frequently harrowed immediately the combine has finished. There is still enough dropped seed to attract the pigeon for a day or two but they move on to the next harvested field within hours.

Always go whenever you get the chance and don`t get too technical about trying to work out the best conditions. One thing is certain. You won`t shoot any pigeons from your armchair.

Nick.

Got to admit it is hard at present, we went out Sunday and again today to give it a go.

Yesterday was a disaster, started off good chatting to the farmer watching the pigeons and crows dropping into the field, so off we went and set up the decoys and netting etc.

About 30 mins later we heard shooting in the distance and before long it was like a scene from the animo....only a clay shoot a couple of fields away which totaly spooked the birds..

So went out again today but nothing really about, all the Wheat in the field had been harvested and we were lucky to of seen only a few pigeons and only had a shot at 1 :devil:

Once we had packed up around 1300 hrs we noticed pigeons and crows coming down by a water hole in the field, think the farmer said it was leaking and they seemed to be dropping around this,

I think we need to watch what the birds are doing more and start a lot earlier then what we are at present to have a chance at any pigeons....

Of course what we need is for all those birds up North to finish eating everything and then come South for food :yes::yes::)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
get your deeks under a flightline! watch the pigeons for an hour or so, even if theyre not stopping they're flying over the field, and whos to say your decoys wont pull them in! give yourself the best chance possible by getting under a flightline.

I like an optimist, but you won't kill many pigeons with this method. Pigeon will not drop in just because you have decoys out, flight line or not. And flightlines can change by the minute, they are not aircraft with set flight paths.

I went out tonight with a mate on wheat stubble, sat under a flight line, hide set tight up against the hawthorne, nice breeze blowing, no rain, one bird landed right in amongst the decoys while I was having a sarnie directly after i'd just finished setting up. So all was well in the world and I thought we'd bag a good few. My mate appeared 15 mins later and we sat waiting.................result after nearly four hours was two birds :blush: , you can't have it all even if everything seems right. Saw a couple of roe fawns which was nice, showed no fear of us at all, in fact as we walked across one field they came closer and stopped at about 25 yards then scarpered. Saw them with their mother later on...nice to be out even if I smoked too much and shot next to sod all :innocent: