The practicality of using shooting sticks

JohnGalway

Noise wise, just get a decent length beating stick with a v notch in it and use it as a monopod - no deploying = no noise :)

I walk with my rifle slung over my right shoulder, lamp in my right hand with the switch ready for use, walking stick in my left hand. Once Charlie has been located with the lamp switch it off, put fox call in my mouth, raise the rifle to the V notch in my stick aiming in the direction of said quarry, attach the lamp to the rifle and position switch, switch on the lamp, said quarry should be roughly in my crosshairs, adjust to suit and squeeeeeeeze. :devil:

Hi John,

Although not ideal and a bit tricky to get the hang of (winter and wet ground helps), I have been known to:

1) rifle over shoulder on (non slip) sling

2) sticks (already at full length) with spikes on (not those pretty rubber things that you find on pensioners walking sticks) in left hand. Held at middle / balance point.

3) battery on back / belt - lamp in right hand.

4) lamp as normal, holding sticks or resting them against ground/left shoulder - not deployed yet.

5) call (spare left hand) and / or spot fox

6) line up for shot - only now deploy sticks - stab those spikes in ground, so sticks are self supporting.

7) attach lamp to rifle

8) hope fox does not run right or left - shoot fox, ok, shoot the one behind it too - they're mating now (winter)

Piece if cake hey?

takes a bit of practice, you want to stick those spikes in just enough to hold but not too hard incase you need to track left / right if fox moves.

If that works give yourself a pat on the back

cheers

AndyCM

what about a modified head lamp. the Tiga fishing ones are bright as hell, but could be adapted :hmm:

Like this idea but if the position generates glare off the silencer :good: ................I have a buddy that lamps and arranging the sticks mounting and shooting is tricky enough as it is but mounting that lamp on to something like the scope is the way forward .I don't see how it's dangerous if you don't chamber a round relying on the safety John and if you do pick up a Fox in the distance unless he's not streetwise he'll run anyway......he won't need the spound of a round being chambered to convince him otherwise . :good:

Did it all last year John :good: but the lads got to the age now that's he's my new lamp man :lol:

Good at it two picked a few things up i missed :good: and would like him to follow the the tradition on :hmm:

As Oly has said

Rifle over shoulder

sticks in left hand

lamp in right hand

find charlie lamp off

attach lamp to riffle

up on sticks a quick call

lamp back on if in range job done