Clearing out feral pigeons around farm buildings

Erik Hamburger

Hi,

The farmer at my permission has asked me to clear out a feral pigeon infestation.

There appear to be approx. 30 that fly around, sun themselves on the roofs, nests in the various outbuildings, and make a big mess in general.

Now, you can't eat them, and I am not so keen on the job, but want to help for the sake of my permission.

I shot some 15 a few days ago in a few hours, most taken from 30-35 yards off the roofs, but they quickly became very shy and shifty and disappeared.

By hiding inside barns and sheds and shooting out of windows/gaps I could hide reasonably well and catch them off-guard to start with.

If anybody has any tips how to deal with this quickly and efficiently I would be most grateful.

Oh yes, some of them appear to be ringed - and some are 100% pure white but not ringed. I assume they are racing pigeons gone feral, and descendants of white racing pigeons gone feral? I am sure the owners would like them back - but how can you trace the owners if you cannot catch them alive? It is true that pigeon fanciers kill any birds that come back after having gone feral and missing, for example after a race, on the grounds of "bad blood lines"?

Thanks again

We cleared a farm of ferrals not long ago, all we did was shoot every evening for around a week and you will find that the ones that dont get shot, dont come back anyway.

I know what you mean about pigeons with tags on, but by the time you realise they have tags on their dead, i asked the farmer about the tags and asked if they were racing pigeons as ive heard that some can be worth quite a bit of money, his words were "dont worry about it, whilst their on my farm their mine and i want them shot, it's just another bird that doesnt come home"

So happy shooting :blush:

I CLEARED OUT A OLD OUTBUILDING FOR A FREIND A FEW WEEKS BACK THERE WAS SO MUTCH PIGEON **** AND IT STANK IT WAS UNBELEIVABLE.

I LAMPED THEM I FOUND IT TO BE THE BEST WAY AND THE QUICKEST METHOD :good: I CLEARED HIS INFESTATION IN A TOTAL OF 4-5 HOURS,A TOTAL OFF 43 CULLED.

BEEN BACK SINCE TWICE AND ONLY SEEN A COUPLE BUT THESE DID NOT KNOW WHAT HIT EMM... :yes: WILL BE BACK NEXT WEEK AGAIN TO CHECK UP.

Edited by HAWK

i used to keep raceing pigeons and we would kill them wen we got them back or tell them to keep them if they havent been there long they will b stamped on there wing or you can trace them with there ring number through the raceing pigeon assocation

i used to keep raceing pigeons and we would kill them wen we got them back or tell them to keep them if they havent been there long they will b stamped on there wing or you can trace them with there ring number through the raceing pigeon assocation

i still race pigeons not everybody kills them when they come home if you shoot racing pigeons it is illegal you will be in trouble do you want to lose your fac or sgc some pigeons are just having a rest

Hi

I had the same opportunity to remove some feral but this guy had a major problem in the region of 3 to 4 hundred of the dam things, it was like siting in Trefalger Square. I found it good target practise, i was back and forth 3 or 4 weeks at the weekend. I read in the original question that you could not eat the feral. I know this is a very contrevertial topic but i found the Feral taste no different than Woodie its just a bit smaller than the woodies breast meat. On inspection of its crop it was eating the same food as the neighbouring woodies, not the tarmac friday night pavement pizzas as expected of a feral.

If its good enough for Hugh Fernly Whittingstow its good enough for me!

If you dont fancy it you could always use them for bait to pull in Charlie!! <_<

Regards

Andy.

Hi I recently cleared 56 pigeons from a farm with hw77 and crosman verminpel at about 30 yards max, There were some racers amongst them but left them alone and they seemed to ****** off as soon as they realised they feral population was quickly shrinking.All I can say is leave em alone and theyshould ****** off of their own accord.

410 PHIL..

Just be careful if there is loads of s##t in the barns, very very nasty stuff, usually at least 5 nasty things that are pretty bad for us humans, I wear a mask over my mouth, looks daft, but keeps you healthy :lol:

Always check and wash your boots/ hands if poss........

Nick