FAC..referee question

Andy_B

Hi All....I have been a holder of my SGC since May of this year...must admit i am hooked...i have been asked by a local keeper to assist with some pest control...BUT...and there always is one...with nearby livestock eg horses etc etc...the control of rabbbits would need to be through a moderated rifle...eg .22lr....Also foxes of which i hope to control with a .243 also moderated ...Now to my subject question...if i re use the gentleman who vouched for me in my SGC application, will he be re interviewed...he was visited at his home for my SGC...which i thought was a bit strange..but as i have nothing to hide or worry about didnt really bother....i just dont want him to have a second interogation about me in a matter of months...my bro is a full FAC holder which i think is open (i know he cant be used)

In the old days, you had to have a referee of professional standing like a doctor, solicitor, MP etc. Nowadays you can ask anyone who is sensible and of good character who has known you for the specified time. I think it is three years. If you are concerned that the previous referee might object, you can ask someone else. Just pick a sensible person who can vouch for you. I asked the farmer who was the owner of my named piece of land. She was a very ordinary lady with no pretentions, but she has known me a good while.

You could even ask your keeper friend. The questions asked refer to stuff like whether they think you are of good character and trustworthy, how you handle firearms and your experience of them and are you responsible, as well as whether you have mental health problems, personal difficulties in relationships and whether you abuse alcohol. Your keeper mate if he is of good character might be ideally placed to answer these since he obviously trusts you.

I don't think the Scottish legislation is any different on this, but check with your firearms dept about what kind of people are eligible as referees where you are.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Evilv

Thanks for that, i have no doubt of him objecting, just dont want to be a pest by having the police interview him twice....i have plenty people that i could ask just thought it might progress quicker if they only had to check one ref...keeper will be out ..only got put in touch with him a few weeks ago...as found out in the forums...met him in the pub !!!

In the old days, you had to have a referee of professional standing like a doctor, solicitor, MP etc. Nowadays you can ask anyone who is sensible and of good character who has known you for the specified time. I think it is three years. If you are concerned that the previous referee might object, you can ask someone else. Just pick a sensible person who can vouch for you. I asked the farmer who was the owner of my named piece of land. She was a very ordinary lady with no pretentions, but she has known me a good while.

You could even ask your keeper friend. The questions asked refer to stuff like whether they think you are of good character and trustworthy, how you handle firearms and your experience of them and are you responsible, as well as whether you have mental health problems, personal difficulties in relationships and whether you abuse alcohol. Your keeper mate if he is of good character might be ideally placed to answer these since he obviously trusts you.

I don't think the Scottish legislation is any different on this, but check with your firearms dept about what kind of people are eligible as referees where you are.

Hope that helps.

In the old days, you walked into a post office, paid your ten bob and walked out with a shotgun licence! :blink:

Sound advice above .

Edited by bob300w

The ACPO have published a document on the procedure appertaining to the grant and renewal of SGC & FAC.

This document contains the following on referees:

Referees/Countersignatory (not required for Transfer from other Force)

(a) Does the countersignatory/referee fully understand what he/she verified? *Yes/No

(:blink: If the countersignatory or either referee is different from last renewal ascertain the reason for this from the applicant. The former countersignatory/referee is also to be contacted in this case and confirmation is to be sought that:

i. he/she has NOT been approached by applicant on this occasion, or

ii. if he/she has been approached by applicant, the reason why the application was

not countersigned.

Now this suggests that it is probably wise to use your previous referee. From personal experience I have signed many sgc & fac over the years and so far have never been approached so the chances of your gentleman being approached this time are slim. I would use him and your keeper friend.

Edited by CharlieT

Hope that helps.

In the old days, you walked into a post office, paid your ten bob and walked out with a shotgun licence! :blink:

Sound advice above .

And if you could afford it you lashed out another 6 bob for a game licence .How i hated paying for a game licence .The price of 6 pints of bullards mild ale . Harnser .

Hope that helps.

Sound advice above .

And if you could afford it you lashed out another 6 bob for a game licence .How i hated paying for a game licence .The price of 6 pints of bullards mild ale . Harnser .

Bullards?? S'truth man, that would strip paint! I used to be a mild drinker (as in drinker of mild, not as .......oh, forget it) but Bullards? If we went in a Bullards pub, we drank botlled beer. There were only two Bullards pubs in this area, was that a Norfolk brewery? Fremlin's was another grim one, better results than syrup of figs!