A new addition to the mews!

PEREGRINE

Hi guys thought I would tell you about what arrived on my doorstep Sunday. A keeper friend of mine called round with a bundle under his arm, when I unwrapped it I found a 3-4year old female Goshawk glaring out at me. He had caught her in one of his pheasant pens, but what was remarkable about this bird was she still had her swivell on!!! This means she must have snapped her leash on her bow perch. The keeper said that he had seen her flying around the pen on many occasions for the last 3 weeks, I have never known a bird to survive more than an afternoon with her swivel on, normally they get hung up on branches and die a lingering death from stavation, which is why falconers are usually so paranoid about checking leashes on their birds very regularly. She is very low in condition and I have had to tube her with glucose, and am feeding a high protein diet, with a little and often approach. This is a very lucky bird, how she survived so long like this is a mystery. I now have to try to find her owner to return her, however she has very severe feather dammage to her tail and primary wing feathers which look like they have been there since the last moult, leading me to think the owner does not really have the knowledge to keep her properly. However the law is the law and she will be returned, I just hope I'm not taking her out of the fyring pan and putting her into the fire by returning her. Also as Goshawks are my favourite birds to fly I think I may just be a bit jelouse :thumbs: I know its a long shot but if any of you know of anyone who has lost a gos in the Sussex area perhaps you could PM me.

Peregrine

I had the good fortune of receiving an injured and escaped Gyr Hybrid under similar circumstances some years ago Peregrine..

I knew the owner or at least had a good idea who it was because the Gyr was not a common bird at the time..

As I suspected (as do you) he was not experienced or capable of looking after the bird I turned it over to the RSPB and it went to a local falconry centre I believe. As far as I am aware the owner although contacted did not claim the bird.

May be an option for your peace of mind.

FM.

Hi Browning, unfortunatly even though I am suspicious about this owner I must by law return her to him. It is a shame though as I believe I could bring her back into perfect condition, her temprement is very good for a goshawk and she looks well capable of taking most game species she weighes 2lbs 7oz and she is at a very low weght at the moment. I will start to repair her feathers as soon as she puts a bit of weight on, to start doing that at the moment would be too stressfull for her. It may well be that the owner has reported her dead already as even he must know her chances of survival wearing a swivel and jesses would be nil. Even so regardless of how well or badly she has been kept up till now, I must by law return her, Unlesss the owner would be inclined to sell her to me. Wont know untill I speake to him.

Peregrine

Hi I thought I would let you all know what happened about the female Goshawk that arrived at my house on Sunday. After numerous visits to the vet for different drugs, I was tubing her 3 times a day because the infection in her throat was so bad she couldnt eat. I was administering Baytril as an antibiotic and also tubing supplement to keep her alive, unfortunately at 7am this morning she finally gave up the fight and died. I am absolutely gutted as this was a completely unnecessary death, if her owner had treated this infection earlier it would only have been a case of giving antibiotics and she would have been fine, unfortunately by the time she came to me it was too late, and we were fighting a loosing battle. What makes it worse is the bird was fighting right up until the end, but I could do nothing more to save her. Yet again another fine bird murdered by some complete #### with more money than sense, I have been a falconer for 31 years, yet when I see something like this it makes me question the ethics of keeping birds of prey. When will people stop looking at these spectacular birds as toys for them to play with for a while until they get bored, and I am not talking about kids these are adults, full grown men who destroy these creatures because of a whim!!!! They like to boast they have these birds in their gardens but as soon as they start to cost money with vetinary treatment the ******* dont want to know. Anyway its probably better I dont get onto this subject as I shall no doubt be banned from the forum, suffice to say it has all been in vain. I thought I would let you know.

Peregrine

What a great shame the bird died. I take my hat off to you for the effort you put trying to save the bird.

When will people stop looking at these spectacular birds as toys for them to play with for a while until they get bored, and I am not talking about kids these are adults, full grown men who destroy these creatures because of a whim!!!! They like to boast they have these birds in their gardens but as soon as they start to cost money with vetinary treatment the ******* dont want to know. Anyway its probably better I dont get onto this subject as I shall no doubt be banned from the forum

I cannot see you getting banned when 95% of people would agree with you. Cruelty to animals dosn't carry enough (any) punishment.

Not every story can have a happy end but at least you tried your best.

Tough luck mate but well worth a try :lol: . I used to manage a falconry centre where at least 30% of our stock came from this sort thing, i used to question the ethics of keeping birds all the time. The 'Harry potter syndrome' was the final straw. we had more bl##dy fezywigs than a little :( . That doesn’t mean i want to put people off getting into falconry, its a fantastic sport, but just to think before they buy, it isn’t as easy as people might think, for people wanting to get interested there are loads of people willing to help and advise, like yourself. Anyway what i will say is for everyone like that gos, thankfully there are dozens, taht are well kept and cared for. thanks for telling the story it serves as a good reminder!!!

p.s is that your hawk in the avatar, if it is you show me yours and i'll show you mine(in the photo's section)

Regards Coney..

A very sad end Peregrine and a tale to which somebody like me, who has a genuine and strong love of these wonderful creatures, brought me to tears.

Anyone who has ever kept a BOP will know what I am talking about.

Well done mate you tried your very best but the bird was obviously deserving of more than its previous owner could offer it.

Coney is absolutely spot on with his comments also. Let this serve as a reminder to anybody that is thinking of taking up Falconry.. Take proper advice and ask yourself if you have the facilities, the patience and the commitment that these birds need.

Best regards,

Mike.

Any feed back from DEFRA who the owner is?

You and i both know that there are some complete tossers in the falconry world, who see owning a BOP as a bit of a ego boost. Thats why i don't go to field meets there all there talking the talk but when it comes to it they can't walk the walk.

I will always keep myself to myself when i'm flying birds.

Bad luck mate, you tried which is more than the RSPCA seem to do.