variation question

pbickerd

Hi all,

The club i am joining only allows .22lr, 0.17hmr and pistol calibers.

If I join another club that allows larger ones, what are my chances of getting variations for some larger calibers.

I have a thing for historic rifles, I would love something like an enfield in .303 or a Mosin Nagant is 7.62x54R. I know of a club that will allow me to shoot these calibers but what are my chances of actually getting them granted just for target shooting? Is it difficult or is it a case of you can have whatever as long as you are a member of a club that you are allowed to shoot it at.

Obviously they may have some misgivings if I was applying for .50BMG but there are guys out there shooting them so I guess there must be a way of getting them..

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Hi all,

If I join another club that allows larger ones, what are my chances of getting variations for some larger calibers.

I have a thing for historic rifles, I would love something like an enfield in .303 or a Mosin Nagant is 7.62x54R. I know of a club that will allow me to shoot these calibers but what are my chances of actually getting them granted just for target shooting? Is it difficult or is it a case of you can have whatever as long as you are a member of a club that you are allowed to shoot it at.

Obviously they may have some misgivings if I was applying for .50BMG but there are guys out there shooting them so I guess there must be a way of getting them..

Thanks in advance.

Paul

You dont say where you are, here in Kent we have an excellent club with access to two Mil ranges and all sorts of weapons through membership.

Perhaps there are forum members near you who belong to clubs offering the same facilities?

Always a good idea to complete your profile. :yes: (edit I see you have done that now and are from Coventry, pity you are so far away)

:good: D2D

Edited by dusk2dawn

So you don't think they will freak when I send a variation form that looks like this :good:

7.62x39 Straight pull

7.62x54R Straight Pull

7.62x54R Bolt Action

5.56 NATO Straight Pull

.308 Bolt Action

As long as the club I belong to allows these calibers?

For the record, I would fill those slots with:

Saiga MK (Civilian version of an AK74 in straight pull)

Tigr (Civvy version of an SVD Drauganov in straight pull)

Mosin Nagant Sniper (original ww2 one)

XM15-M4 (Civilian version of the M4 carbine)

Remi 700 PSS

I have a job coming up soon which will fund most of that in one go :yes: Just need to talk mr policeman into allowing it. Just making sure I understand how it works.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Paul

You dont say where you are, here in Kent we have an excellent club with access to two Mil ranges and all sorts of weapons through membership.

Perhaps there are forum members near you who belong to clubs offering the same facilities?

Always a good idea to complete your profile. :yes:

:good: D2D

I'm in the midlands. I'm in the process of joining Wedgnock but after that I was thinking of applying for Worcester Norton. They say their max ME and MV are:

Maximum cal: .577“ (.75 for black powder, 37mm for baton rounds).

Maximum MV: 3275 fps.

Maximum ME: 5160 ft lbs.

That should easily cover the weapons I listed in my post above.

Quite an arsenal you wabt there straight off. I expect they will limit it to begin with until you have gained some experience with 1 or 2 of them, prob the 5.56mm then they would prob consider it. But then differant police forces have differant approaches, best thing to do is ring them as discuss it.

where are you?

are there any fullbore rifle clubs in your area?

you do not need a mentor for target shooting, once you are a full member you will have passed a probationary period of which you would have attended all

disciplines run by that club and been signed off by comittee to be safe and proficient.

it is at this point you can apply for the calibres you want with the clubs backing.

I see harv, so do I need to get the clubs signoff then to get various calibers?

It does look like a bit of an arsenal doesnt it :yes: I've really got the bug i think! Maybe I should consider actually putting some money in the bank instead and just buying one thing off the list :good:

I see harv, so do I need to get the clubs signoff then to get various calibers?

It does look like a bit of an arsenal doesnt it :yes: I've really got the bug i think! Maybe I should consider actually putting some money in the bank instead and just buying one thing off the list :good:

your force will be aware of what the clubs ranges are passed for and once you have been granted membership you wont have a problem getting the calibres

your after.

put down what you want on application, you may be pleasantly surprised, to apply by variation later will cost you.

Yeah I saw that about Worcester Norton. I guess they must be short of space. They allow huge calibers but only 50m range its a bit random. Maybe a good place to practice shooting from standing for a bit of a challenge :good:

Cheltenham isnt tooo far. I'm only looking for somewhere to go maybe once a month to shooting a bit bigger. Most weeks I will be happy to practice at Wedgnock with a 22lr.