.22 penetration tests

Dunkield

I am out of time on that permission and I don't think they would appreciate me spraying wood chips accorss the golf course (and even at 100 yards you can see that board get whacked through the scope and spray sawdust out the back) so I will pass the baton onto anyone else who wants to carry on with it.

It was just a bit of fun, mainly as I had the board and remembered the 50 yard story, I will admit I was surprised by the 100 yard result and based on that would have no trouble believing it would do the same at 125 and maybe 150 as well.

Interesting experiment. Thanks for doing this. As stated, a lot of people suggest .22lr is a mickey mouse caliber but it seems to be capable of quite some damage.

Now, do more tests :) We want to see what it does at 100yrds.

I used to do sighting in against a thick dry stone wall on one of my permissions. I stopped because it smashed the stones up pretty badly so that I had to rectify them. It;s a small low velocity caliber but it hits pretty hard.

On American websites I have often seen the remark that more people have been killed by .22lr than any other caliber.... I am not sure if it is true, since military weapons must surely take that cup, but none the less the .22LR has killed a great many people in the States, one way and another.

Because of the danger of ricochet and the substantial lump of lead that whizzes off into the distance when it happens making that horrible whine, I use the HMR for safety reasons mainly. I have never yet had a ricochet with that round, whereas the .22LR did it all the time when the ground was dry. It would also penetrate deep into a soil bank and leave a big old chunk of mushroomed lead buried in there.

Stinger bullets dug out of an earth bank behind target ->

60yardbulletspb8.jpg

Mobile phone picture of how far the stingers penetrated under the turf behind the target when shot at sixty yards ->

targetatninebanksro5.jpg

They went in about 14 inches when five were fired at the same target. Obviously, this will depend on the density of the soil and how far other bullets went before the last was fired in, but I wouldn't like to be shot with a stinger, that's for sure.

Edited by Evilv